High End Ampeg Clone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, Jan 14, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Here's an interesting Question....
    If you're familiar with "Blockhead Amps"
    you know that that company makes excellent Marshal Plexi clones
    They say (and i belive it) that they went over hundreds of Marshall's inconsistent older plexi amps and based their copy on the "best of the best" and use high quality components to ensure a consistent product
    Does anyone know if a company has done the same with the old Ampeg SVT head - as in made a high quality clone based on the "best of the best" of the older SVT's??
    No offense to Ampeg, but their quality has been suspect in latter years
    It's been a while sinice i visited this site, life kept getting in the way
    Thanks for any input
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i guess nobody knows nuthin huh?
    anyway, anyone have any opinions on the new svt classic style preamp vs their old svp pro preamp - does one sound beter or more "svt like?"
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've never heard of or seen an Ampeg SVT clone. I know that Matchless did a 200 watt head called the Thunderchief but I have no idea how close to an Ampeg it sounded; in any event, they have stopped making bass amps altogether.

My guess is there just isn't enough of a market. Look at how many builders crank out boutique guitar amps based on the Fender Bassman, plexi Marshall and Vox AC30.

Then think of how few boutique bass amp builders there are. Hmmm, Walter Woods and...hmm, still thinking

There aren't even many mass market amps competing with the SVT. Mesa still makes the 400+ and Aguilar has the DB359 but the high power tube heads from Peavey, Trace and Eden are no longer made...not sure if that 400 watt Marshall is still in production or not.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    no disrespect to , but i think most boutique builders wanna do something than just build a clone. Ossie at Blockhead does make a great amp, but i dunno if its quite a deadon clone. its more an interpretation on a really great sounding one, filtered thru their knowhow and own wishes in an amp. so no matter who you ask, you'll never find a perfect clone, unless you go with a SVT reissue, which from what i've heard arent too shabby.

but, you can try emailing Fred at Divided by 13 amps. he's mainly does some killer boutique guitar amps, but he's also done a 200 watt SVT style amp.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

SansAmp BDDI or RBI --> power amp --> Bergantino NV610. Works for me. :)