1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

High-End Amps and Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bong404040, Jul 31, 2012.

1. bong404040

bong404040

Feb 23, 2012
    Hey all,
    I'm looking to purchase a new setup and was wondering what's out there. I currently have an eden 210 and 115 with the world tour 800. I may keep the WT800. Anyways, I just wanted to compile a list of the higher end amps because I really love the eden and refuse to go below that quality. I'm looking for a new cab mainly, a friend used my 210 at a show and blew a speaker cranking it to 11, shame, shame. I will replace the speaker, but have been meaning to do the upgrade to possibly a 410 and 115 setup.

Right now I'm looking at bergantino, Eden (always a possibility), David Nordschow Amplification (Creater of Eden's new amps and cabs), Phil Jones Bass.... I want to check out a few more brands like this. I appreciate the input and advice.

2. Well I think you have a lot of reading ahead of you. First of all a 410 and a 115 is not a good pairing. If you like the sound of your head now, keep it. As far as cabs go I would be checking out some of the "super cabs":

Barefaced Bass
    AudioKinesis Thunderchild
    Baer ML-112
    Bill FitzMaurice designs
    fEARful and greenboy designs.

Berg makes some nice cabs, but at the price point you can do better IMHO. PJB cabs are cool but once again at that price point you can do better. Eden and DNA cabs have some grossly inflated specs, and wouldnt even show up on my radar.

3. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Using a transparent cab might show you that you don't like the sound of your head.

4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Genz Benz makes really, really good amps. Worth a listen.

5. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
  7. bong404040

bong404040

Feb 23, 2012
    If a 410 115 setup is no good what would you recommend? The band I play in plays music of all styles so I would need the speakers to be pretty versatile. But with the brands that are being thrown up I'm not to worried they won't be able to do what I want.

8. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Try the 15 alone, and the 4x10 alone, and see if you like either, then get rid of the one you don't like and get two of the one you do like if you need to be that loud, if you don't like either, get one you do like then add more until loud enough.

What sound do you want, how loud, how heavy? The only thing you've apparently specified so far is expensive.

9. bong404040

bong404040

Feb 23, 2012
    lol I guess that is true. I play a music man hh stingray and I love the natural sound of that bass. With the WT800 it sounds awesome. That being said I'd like a bit of volume, but what I'm truly after is tone. I mean it will eventually come down to preference. I'm just looking for a starting point. I have to ask though what don't you like about eden and DNA? I personally love my eden, I Just want a little more mid range and high end clarity. It doesn't necessarily have to be louder, but if it needs to be to improve the tone.....oh well :p

10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Greenboy has been introducing alot of new designs lately. They look amazing. If I was looking for a new cab and had the cash, I'd be thinking hard on one of these. The man knows what he is doing.

For example:

[​IMG]

Fearless 215slim
    0JFUP.

11. They have a history of bull $hit specs. The copy on the DNS-410 is that it can stand up to 1,400 watts rms and 2,800 peak. I am not aware of a single 10" driver that can truly handle 350 watts of power in bass frequency. Add in price point and you can do a lot better.

12. bong404040

bong404040

Feb 23, 2012
    Are those greenboy's DIY or are they prebuilt? with speakers is what I am asking

13. Those pictured are built by authorized builders, and are only available through them. All his designs are available through the same set of authorized builders.

14. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
  15. bong404040

bong404040

Feb 23, 2012
    I did not know that. What happened to honesty in advertising? If you had to pick a brand to go with, since you seem to know your "super-cabs" and high end gear pretty well, which one and what cab setup? You might as well throw in an amp option as well. I really appreciate all the input from everyone.

16. I like my fEARfuls and I GAS for some of the new greenboy designs a bit, but there are other great cabs out there as well. Go play through everything you can find, it will let you know what you like and what you dont. The list I posted before is a good place to start, do some reading and see what appeals to you.

As far as amps, if you like your eden I wouldnt be quick to ditch it. Some amps that are on my radar are a Jule's Monique Pre with a power amp, Mesa M9, GK MB fusion (waiting on the 800 to come out), Ampeg SVT-7 pro, Genz SML-900, Tech amp... The list goes on as there are some really amazing items out there right now.

17. bong404040

bong404040

Feb 23, 2012
    damn i'm gonna have to start reading up on the new stuff. You can probably tell I haven't had the need to look into anything new for a while haha. Do you know a site or something where there is a list of all this amazing new gear? My research shall begin today and end when they stop making new and improved gear.....so never lol

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The site to go to is:

www.talkbass.com

19. bong404040

bong404040

Feb 23, 2012
    hahaha I knew someone would say that

20. While I do like Eden cabs, I gotta say I was pretty put off by their spec "polishing". I come from a live sound background. So I am used to taking specs at face value. All the major SR manufacturers like Meyer, EAW, EV, Renkus Heinz, Peavey, JBL etc put out detailed non-BS specs.
    So when I read Eden literature that says its 4x10 cabs are 106db at 1w/1m I am thinking these are either some amazing new technology, or they letting their marketing dept make fools of them. If I look at SWR, Peavey, Aguilar etc they all come in around 100db or so for a 4x10. (Ampeg says all it's cabs are 98db?). So while I dig Eden, I don't appreciate my intelligence being insulted. I am sure some other bassists have similar experiences.