1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'High-End' bass purchase

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mogalen, Mar 19, 2013.

1. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    All great basses. Depends on your needs.

2. Mogalen

Mogalen

Mar 5, 2013
    I'm gonna use it alot for technical death metal, a little for funk/soul/regular metal.

3. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    They would all do the job. The Spector is a great bass, super responsive, and very similar in ergonomics to the P-Nut. The Warwick is an excellent fit for a lot of different musical styles, as is the G&L L2500.

Have you had the chance to play any of these? They all have different feels and specs. The G&L and Warwick are 34" scale and Spector is 35" scale. If it were me, I'd choose the Warwick, but you really can't go wrong with any of these for the style you are playing.

4. Mogalen

Mogalen

Mar 5, 2013
    I'm more into the warwick atm, and i will try to test them before.

5. Mogalen

Mogalen

Mar 5, 2013
    Any more suggestions?

6. These are all great basses, and my personal pick out of them would be the Spector for what you're looking to do, however I would recommend that you get a 6 string or even a 7 string bass instead of a 5. Just my two cents. Conklin makes a wonderful 7 string.

7. Mogalen

Mogalen

Mar 5, 2013
    But are they all 'on par' with each other? Are any of them a bit better/worse than the others? Or are they all equal in quality etc?

8. Mogalen

Mogalen

Mar 5, 2013
    Why so many strings btw, SalmonCubes? I don't really think I need a high C or even F.

9. Alot of Technical Death Metal that I've seen is played on extended range basses, usually with alot of two handed tapping. Also, just saying, more strings gives you more options later if you want to play some other things. It's just more that can be available to you.

Also, dosen't this just scream metal to you? ;)
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/conklin-guitars-gtbd-7-7-string-bass-guitar

10. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    you can get a used Spector 5 Euro and I KNOW you will not be disappointed at all.. Had one and it was the best 5 string I EVER had tone action feel everything is just right there. I have heard the P nut is awesome as well though just never played one.

11. Mogalen

Mogalen

Mar 5, 2013
    Yeah that's true Salmon. I guess I'm considering a Warwick PS Thumb BO 6 now as well...

12. Mogalen

Mogalen

Mar 5, 2013
    Has anyone tested the P-Nut?

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

You have to play them IMO.

I bought a USA Spector sight unseen and it sounded and looked incredible.... But it weighed almost 12lbs... And the neck was like a baseball bat. I loved the tone and look, but I had to sell it. The new owner loves it.

14. All 3 selections are fantastic instruments.

Best advice... If you are able, it would be best if you could try them before purchasing. If you can try them yourself, maybe one will jump out at you if/when you test one.

We (the rest of TB'ers replying here) are individuals. As such, we all have different tastes. The item we like may not necessarily be the one that would appeal to you the most.

That having been said/written, my personal choice(s) would be narrowed down to either the Warwick or Spector.

15. Out of the 3 choices you listed I would personally choose the Spector. I owned one about 8 years ago that was a really solid bass. I was able to play rock, pop, soul, and pretty much anything I wanted with that bass. I have tried plenty of Warwicks and G&L's, but they never really stood out for me. I strongly urge you to play as many as you can before buying. Find what you like and go with it. You might also want to consider a Lakland.

16. Mogalen

Mogalen

Mar 5, 2013
    I've heard from people that you can get a lot of better stuff than Lakland in that pricerange, so I'm not really sure.

17. I would personally get the Spector, just because those basses can sound really awesome with just about any hard rock type of music (early Alice in Chains stuff always comes to mind). Warwicks are cool, I have a buddy who owns one and it had so much presence I couldn't believe the wide versatility of sounds! Kinda reminded me of a Wal in a way because of the high presence of mids compared to alot of basses. That would have to be my #2, since I know nothing about the G&L.

18. Mogalen

Mogalen

Mar 5, 2013
    So from what I've heard the Spector is a sure bet. But not alot of feedback on the Warwick... It's so hot though.

19. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    There's also string spacing to consider. I'm pretty sure the G&L is 17mm, but I'm not sure about the Spector or Warwick models. I've got a stable of 4-strings with the standard 19mm spacing, and one 5er (Schecter Stiletto Elite) with the very narrow 16.5mm, and even after a couple of years I still find the adjustment awkward for my right hand.