1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

High End bass Recomendations? Pleas Help me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThickSounD, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Currently I am playing a Warwick Infinity SN 5 string bass as my main bass....I need something that is at least as good tone wise with a fatter neck and string spacing.

I played in the in the studio this weekend with a 5 string Fodera and I am now very spoiled. The Tone BLEW the Warwick away 10x over! It was also Lighter and more comfortable to play.

I probably cant afford a Fodera but i am searching for something in the $1000 - $1500 range. (would like something less expensive of course). Especially Those really nice custom basses that aren't famous yet......I think i like Bossa basses, and the Pedulla Rapture bass I'm thinking about as well. Basically I like the Feel of the Fender Jazz string spacing and neck width.

I need some more Ideas and recommendations though.
    Please help me.

2. cloren

cloren

Nov 15, 2007
    san francisco
    I posted a similar thread not too long ago and was refered to lecomptebass.com

Bud's a really cool guy and very helpful. I just ordered a custom 4 string yesterday which should hopefully be ready in 4-5 months!

you might also wanna check out mpguitars.com

3. There's also plenty of used higher end stuff here in the TB classifieds. You may get lucky and find a good deal in there.

4. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    A fatter neck than a Warwick? Have you considered just stringing up and playing the entire tree? :D Just kidding...

A used Pedulla Rapture would fit nicely in your budget, although both of the Pedullas I have owned (Thunderbolt 5 and Pentabuzz) had nice, relatively thin flattened oval neck profiles which may not be beefy enough for you.

5. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    In your price range I would definately look for something used if I were you. High ends don't keep their value too well so you can actually pick up some really nice stuff within your budget. Exactly what kind of sound are you going for? From what it sounds like with the neck you want I would start looking at boutique Jazz's Lowend, Nordy, AC, Valenti ect... If your looking for a different tone Spector, Alembic?

6. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Why don't you look for a used Sad Metro (might be able to find one for around your price) or used US Lakland (possibly?). If you like the feel of Jazz basses then you'd probably really like these brands--although I have no idea what kind of sound you're going for if you want something comparable to a Wick, but in a Fodera/Pedulla kind of way.:confused:

7. jazzenfunk

jazzenfunk Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    bay area
    Your not gonna find a Lowend, Nordy, or AC used in that price range. If there is one, it will be snatched up like chum in a shark tank. Maybe a Valenti or a Lull though.

8. I owned an R-Bass 5 around 2001 that was sweet, nice wide fingerboard with slim neck...about $2000 used back then, I've seen them for quite a bit less lately.

9. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    don't forget about the Lakland Skylines iether. Mine plays so damn well my Ken Smith's have been cased for now at least.

10. Lakland DJ 5 is outstanding as is the Joe Osborne Skyline.
    Or look for a used Sadowsky Metro. They typically run a bit more closer to $2000, but worth every penny.
    Lull is another one too.

IF you can find one, the Fender Roscoe Beck 4 or 5 are among the sweetest Fenders ever made IMO.

11. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    OP, I would also recommend that you read the suggestions in the last identical thread you posted.