High end bass recommendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dpheise, Mar 2, 2004.

1. dpheise

Feb 28, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I'm searching for a new bass and I'm looking at high end gear. The basses I'm considering, so far, are: Sadowsky, Ken Smith, Modulus, and Zon, but I'm open to suggestions. I am looking for a 4-string. I play mostly rock, but also some jazz and blues. I want it to be versatile. I'm also looking for something that records well direct. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Peavey Cirruses are good from what i've heard.
  3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I might recommend an F bass for what you list. If you want a good bass at a good, in my opinion, price I would put that one towards the top of your list.
  4. Try out a Roscoe too!!
  5. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    all opions man and heres mine, kubicki, play one personally i think there the best 4 on the planet. but you go out and try a bizillion basses and see what you like. all presonal preference my man
  6. ditto that!!
  7. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    all those choices in the first post are great basses. Elrick makes GREAT basses too. I own an Elrick NSJ 4 string and I think my next purchase will be a Modulus Flea 4 string

the Elrick has a 35 inch scale, which isn't for everyone, but I like alot...one thing I love about Modulus is the graphite neck and the extra stability that gives (looking forward to using the Modulus in outdoor shows this summer and not having to be concerned about neck stability in super humid weather). Sadowsky is basically a Fender Jazz on steroids with perfect construction and modern tones

it really depends on what you are looking for specifically
  8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Conklin Guitars

Conklin Guitars

Conklin Guitars

Conklin Guitars
  9. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I love my Zon... my customs are better though, in thier own ways. :) But it all starts with my ZON!
  10. Hi!

You have a great list! I've owned all those except the Smith (which I've played a few - just not my thing). For your use, I would recommend Sadowsky. Great rock and jazz tone and records direct better than any of the others, in my experience.

I'm very impressed with how the Sadowskys always just sound "right" and sit so well in the mix.

Good luck!!
  11. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ken Smith, Zon, Roscoe, MPG
  12. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There are probably dozens of "high end" basses, exponentially more if you include boutique luthiers and custom builders; so many so, that it's nearly impossible to nail down.

My personal favorites are (in no particular order):
    Jerzy Drozd
    Ken Lawrence
    Status (if you like graphite)
    Rick Turner (only tried the Renaissance)

The point is, the more time I have, the more luthiers I could list that make fantastic instruments. My advice is to try as many as you can to find if any "speak" to you more than others. If you're serious about buying a "high end" bass, most shops can even send you a bass for a couple of days to try.

I think it'll be hard to make a perfect decision because at this level, there isn't a single "best". But, also at this level, you'd be looking at attention to detail, workmanship, consistency (in most cases), and versatility (in most cases).

Happy hunting.:D :bassist:
  13. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    I have a Spector 5 (Euro) and a Cirrus 6. I like the Spector better for an agressive sound, and the Cirrus when I need more versatility. I have not owned any of the others, but I have played a friends Modulus and I like both the Cirrus and Spector better though it is only my opinion. Good Luck!
  14. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    There's really no way to answer this question FOR YOU. We can only answer FOR US. I've been on the bass merry-go-round for over 5 years and owned over 20 high end basses. I would find a bass I was happy with, and then read threads where everybody was claiming this or that (which I didn't have) to be the Holy Grail. Well, then I'd scheme and save and sell and trade and get my hands on one only to be disappointed. Is and Fbass or Sadowsky the ultimate modern Jazz? Yes, to many. To me, no. I've had 2 F's and 1 Sadowsky and didn't like certain things about them FOR ME. For you, who knows? FWIW, and IMHO, classic rock, fingerstyle, you can't go wrong with Lakland, Roscoe, or Elrick. Of course my '66 J isn't bad either ;)
  15. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Of your choices, all at the same price, I'd get the KEN SMITH, no doubt about it.

the series/parallel switch offers you a ton on tone variability along with the b/m/t circuitry.

Though he does make bolt-ons, hes primarily a neck through construction, which is not the case on your other options.
  16. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Chris Stambaugh made my fretless recently (I'm on his site under customer photos--John Lally). For $1400, it's hands down the best playing fretless I've ever owned. A custom bass at a production bass price. Chris worked with me on everything from preamp to pickups to neck profile, so I was able to get the bass I wanted without mortgaging the house. His philosophy, which is on his site, is refreshing. Mine's a bolt on, but for a couple hundred more you could get a neck through, if that's your preference. Visit stambaughdesigns.com and take a look. You can also purchase a Stammie through Luthier's Access Group (luthiersaccessgroup.com). Dan Lenard is great to work with as well. Just got an AccuGroove Whappo Jr. through Dan. Good luck.
  17. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    FBB- or Stambaugh both are great basses, and price is good.
  18. Pedulla MVP
    Pedulla Thunder
    Lakland USA
    MTD 435