1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

High end bass stores

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alexbib, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Hey guys,

Could you list the stores where one can try high end basses? I'd be especially interested in ones near Montreal or maybe Ottawa, but as I have the intention of visiting the US north-east, I thought I'd stop by a few bass stores on my way.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    If you're in Connecticut, I highly recommend GGuitars in New Haven. The first time I walked in I thought I was in a museum where I could touch all the art.

3. DTSH

DTSH

Sep 23, 2008
    Woodside, Queens, NY
    G Guitars has some great stuff, for sure. It's a little hard to find but totally worth the trip. And they're generally pretty cool about you trying stuff, unlike some other fancy stuff stores I've been to. They always have a few Roscoes in stock, and usually have some cool local builders like Sage.

Otherwise The Bass Room at Rudy's in New York City (I assume if you're doing tourist stuff you'll make it to NYC) is outstanding. One of the few places I know of around the Northeast US where you can play Ritters, etc. Very high end stuff.

4. Club Bass in Toronto... a bit of a drive, but nothing but high end stuff!
    http://www.clubbass.ca/
    Dave will take good care of you!
    Fishheadjoe

5. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Also in Connecticut is Alpha Audio Works in Mystic (44 Washington St.). Talk to Andy.

6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
  7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    Boutique Tone in Montreal

8. The Amp Shop/Bass Exchange in Sherman Oaks, CA (near Los Angeles) has some really, really nice and exotic ones. They're not as nice and exotic as when they were just The Bass Exchange several years back, but they still have a ton of boutique basses and other really nice high end basses.

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    Bass Specialties in Philly

10. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    FYI there is nothing in Ottawa

11. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    I used to live near that store. It's alright. I guess I was under the impression that the OP is looking for high end like Sadowsky, etc.

12. If you ever go to Seattle, you must stop at Bass NW.

13. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Cool :) I wasn't even looking for a place like this and now I'll visit this weekend :)

Thanks!

14. Cool, thanks everyone!

Some of these places are kinda far, but I'll try to visit them eventually :)

15. mas502arc

mas502arc

May 14, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    I second Club Bass in Toronto! MUCH closer than all the US counterparts lol

16. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    If you are a snowbird you can try The Bass Place while in Phoenix.

17. Any around Kansas City? We used to have the KC Bassment but the guy packed up and hauled a few years ago. He let me play everything but the stack-knob Jazz.

18. Scatterblak

Scatterblak

May 12, 2007
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Endorsing Artist for Low End bass guitars, DNA Amplification
    The Low End in Murfreesboro, TN. High end basses and builders both - how can you go wrong at a store with 60's era J's hanging on the wall right beside serious lumber that Brian Barrett builds?

19. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    yes, i have been there and purchased. nice place. the roscoes were really nice,almost had to take one home. and you can try alembic and expensive spectors. johnny a, staind