Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High end basses... kinda

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Hey what are some good high-end basses that are not like $2000?
    The most I wanna spend on a bass is around $1500. I want the bass to have a real low action, kinda like Victor Wooten low. And have a good slap/pop sound. I'll mostly be tapping more than slap/pop. So any suggestions?

2. Maybe a Lakland Skyline -02 model? There are alot of great models in your price range!

3. get a seccond hand kubicki ex-factor, they usually go on ebay for about $700us+....but they play great and the action on mine is as low as ive ever played, its a jack of all trades so to say, even if you dont like the looks, give it a chance and play one if you ever get the chance...ooohh..and one hint, try not to get a fender era one, unless its an '89

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Bollocks. I've tried my 90 against earlier ones and discounting the couple of switching options mine doesn't have, there was nothing in it sonically, or with regard to fit and finish.
    Is your opinion based upon an actual playing comparison?

5. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    4-string, 5-string, 6-string, or beyond? That makes a difference in price.

Otherwise, the $1500- $2000 price range opens a lot of doors for you.

I'll ASSUME you're either looking for a 4 or 5 string.

-Dingwall Afterburner basses can be had in that price range.
    -Some Warwicks too.
    -And if you're not afraid of buying factory direct, you can get a very nice Carvin with some dough left over.
    -Matt Pulcinella Guitars (mpguitars.com) are reasonably priced for single-luthier instruments and his basses are said to be very good.
    -Conklin Groove Tools is said to be good.
    -If you want something totally different, I believe some Lightwave basses can be had in that price range (lightwave-music.com)
    -I believe some Status SmartBasses can be had for under $2000 if you option them right (i.e. single pickup, passive electronics.) The little interactive thingy on their site is cool (status-graphite.com). If there were a 6-string version of the SmartBass offered, I'd totally GAS for one.

And there's always the mainstays like G&L, MusicMan Stingrays, some Spectors, Lakland Skyline...I'm forgetting a whole bunch, I know.

And there's always preowned basses. A bass that once cost $2500- $3000 may be available used for half the cost. So you just open more doors for yourself.

But, yeah, go to music stores and try out as many basses as you can, even those beyond your price range and see which ones 'fit' you best. If a bass a tad beyond your budget moves you, then save up.

6. http://mc2.freeservers.com/kubicki.htm

this was written by a guy who owns a minimum of 20 kubickis and a fair few leduc's as well....he also owns a few of stu's kubickis, but he's been playing them as long as ive been born

check out the prototype on the seccond page

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    BUY USED

8. See my bass below on my signature. $1500.00
    It's not a Skyline it's a USA Deluxe, not that there is anything wrong with Skylines but the USA's are superb. I'm not a big slapper but you can slap the crap out of this one. Birdseye Maple board and very versitile.

Shameless Plug for my gear.... yes ... and there are many more to look at on the site.

here is a pic that works.
    http://img37.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img37&image=P8290018.jpg

9. Thanks for the reply's.
    The Status Basses look really nice

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Listen to Brian Barrett...going used $1500 gets you into Sadowsky, Lakland, Alembic, Zon, Warwick, Turner, Lull, Modulus, Pedulla, etc.

11. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I can also recomend the Dingwall Afterburner, as always :)

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Lots of great suggestions so far. Let me add the Peavey Cirrus to the list of basses you should try out. And if you are looking at used stuff, check out a Pedulla MVP or Thunderbass. Or a used Ken Smith.

13. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    +1 for this one.. plenty of used Smiths show up on ebay in the 1500-2000 range.. killer basses

also talk to the small luthiers on this site maybe they can do something for you!

14. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    Roscoe LG3005

15. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    WARWICK STREAMER!

get the just a nut and set the action FLAT

and tap away my man [",]

16. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Dean B2-5. It's built especially for tapping/slapping. Or, if you prefer four strings, the Dean B2 (It's B-Squared). Either one is not too much money for a really wicked bass. Piezos in the bridge, two EQ sections (seperate and independent). Dump the stock p/u's and drop in a set of Barts and you'll have just about the last bass you'll ever need. Trust me on this one. If you don't trust me, trust Brian Bromberg. He designed it, along with Mick Donner.

17. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I'd second the Peavey Cirrus idea. I have played several and found them to be excellent for tapping.

18. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i like the "anything that is G&L" idea that i am the first to mention. check it out... www.glguitars.com. awesome basses that dont get the attention they deserved. after all, it was leo fender's last project before he died so you know they have ot be good. all of leos work from all of his years are shown in these basses.

19. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    From our very own classifieds section: Perhaps this? :cool: :bassist:

20. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    If you're going to tap, why not get a used Stick or Warr guitar?

Incidentally, you don't need a high end instrument to get low action. That's a setup issue.

Used Zons are within your price range too, btw.