1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

High end basses on TV

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Masher88, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Seems like all I'm seeing lately in concerts and TV shows are Fenders and Stingrays. I haven't seen a whole lot of high end/boutique basses on TV. I'm talking the MTD's, Fodera's, Ritters..etc. You know, buckeye burls, flamed maple..and so on. Best I've seen lately was a plain Red Sadowsky on that Emiril cooking show..hahaha!

Does anyone have any pics or clips of concerts or shows where someone is playing a boutique bass?

2. thats coz these guys who are on tv are too busy to read tb all day and have never heard of half these brands:)

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Watch David Letterman. Will Lee plays a Sadowsky. Ricky Minor on American Idol plays a Smith and a Sadowsky.

4. that guy out of alien ant farm played a Ken Lawrence for the video for 'Smooth Criminal' and a Jerzy Drozd for the forgettable 'Movies'

5. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    While not a TV show, in "Coming to America" with Eddie Murphy, there's a dude playing a six string Ken Smith.

6. Ha, so he does. That's wicked. Didn't notice that before... probably since the last time I saw this was before I played bass.

7. Lokire

Lokire Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Seattle, Washington
    He has 2 Ken Lawrence basses. And it's not a Jerzy, it's a Dave Parr, with a simmilar body shape. Fender made him a copy of that one too.

Forgettable? I love that vid :D

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Penn and Teller are listed on the Kubicki players page, so I'm guessing someone on their show uses one.

I was watching Jools Holland on TV at New Year and spotted a guy playing a nice looking Yamaha TRB 6 string with what looked like an Ovangkol top. You know, one of the expensive ones!

9. That'll be Penn Jillette himself - he's a pretty damn good bassist. :)
    Whenever I've seen him play bass though, he uses a Zon... maybe he's moved to Kubickis now.

10. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I think it's because the bands who are in the spotlight are mostly pop and rock bands. Fenders and Stingrays tend to sit nicely in that style of music. If electric jazz/fusion was in the mainstream, I'm sure there we'd see more boutique basses in addition to the Fenders.

11. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    And that guy was non other than mevin lee davis

12. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    the bass player on SNL plays a fodera emperor 5 most of the time. last i knedw anyways....ive stayed away from the newer episodes.

13. LaMarquis J

LaMarquis J

Jan 27, 2006
    This month on CD USA I played my Ritter Raptor. Also played my Lakland deluxe and my Sadowsky on The Tonight show twice.

14. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!!!!

You all know him as 'Joe the Policeman' from the 'What's Going Down' episode of 'That's My Mama! :) :)

That was Melvin Lee Davis?? I love that scene!

15. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    :bassist: :D

16. scott917

scott917

Mar 13, 2005
    Houston, Tx.
    I have read several interviews with famous peoples guitar/bass techs and even the artist themselves. Many say there are quite a few who have instruments that will never leave the house or studio for fear of being stolen.....

Looks like they may leave the good stuff at home. I would not want something getting stolen. How many out there have has something stolen and aren't famous?

Some will argue, why have it and not play it? But I think that they keep certain gear to lay down tracks in the studio to get that signature sound. Then on the road or public performance they use an instrument that is close and use effects to get the rest of the way. Have you ever seen "the edges" pedal board? It is huge!!! I don't know how his sound is not totally sucked away using that many effects... Sorry for the comparison of guitars, but that is the one that stands out in my mind.

S

17. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    during the "Booze Cruise" episode of the US version of The Office, the boat band's bass player is using a fodera 5 string

18. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Cane Ridge, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
  19. I actually see quite a few Ritters and custom-shop Warwicks on TV here in Germany. The bands are always playing the kind of disco-folk that is known as "Schlager" here. Those bands tend to consist of semi-professional musicians around 40-50 and I think it is because they have decent paying day-jobs that they can afford such nice equipment. It seems to me that most other bands on TV where instruments are shown are usually rock bands who use more traditional/cheaper gear.

20. Most of those fancy basses are sold high income hobbyists. Most working pro's (at least in the pop/country world) seem to use Fender-derived instruments that are tough and roadworthy (Fender, Sadowsky, Lakland, MM Stingray, etc.). You rarely see a 'pro' worrying about wooden volume knobs and inlays:D