High end basses-Stingray or Rickenbacker or Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sk8terguy316, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Well as you see I've been touring the forums with different questions about basses I've now realized I can get a pretty High end bass so my question which high end would you say I was looking at a Music man Stingray (something in that price range) or a Rickenbacker or a Warwick standard bass or a G&L L2000. I play rock music, and i play blues, and i play slap tunnes and im gettin into Marcus miller type stuff. Thanks for all your help I'm sorry to be a pain in the arse but you guys know what your talking about and my local shop doesnt sell musicmen or anything all they sell is Fendr, Ibanez and Peavey mostly.

*edit* What do you also think would be better for me (and whats your opinion) A Stingray or Sterling. IM 13 whats your opinion on tonal qualities and stuff like that I would try it ut for myself but my local shjop doesnt have any
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    sup Jersey! I'm over in Pine Lake Park, use to live on Sunrise Blvd in Lacey back 10 years ago

You say Marcus... he's playin Fender :bassist:

Toms River Music is a horrid little shop ain't it? I do everything I can to not even drive past it.... burns me up it's the best in the local area.

Take a ride up to Red Bank Music or Guitar Center in New Brunswick or Sam Ash in Cherry Hil.... lots of other places around.

I generally get stuff from an online dealer or right from builders.
  3. Yea Toms River Music sucks. I go there and all it has is Fender and Ibanez and I'm thinking "damn when can they get anything new around here" I live in Lanoka Harbor by Laurel Blvd thats pretty close to where you lived by shoprite" Ill have to see if I can go to Sam ash thanks for the help on wher to go
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Mid-level basses, but I digress . . .

You can't go wrong with a Stingray . . . ever . . . IMO, and in the opinion of a high-list of pro's on many, many a famous and admired recording.
  5. thanks guys (to me its high end- I'm broke) I am probably gunna get a Stingray or a Sterling because I think I like the sterling
  6. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    Why is it anytime I hear or see the word "New Jersey" - I think of this guy?

7. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I have a Ric and a Wick. I can't decide. I love them both so much.. (My SX nails the Marcus Miller tone though)
  8. doogenbomb

Oct 25, 2004

That is the best post I have ever seen!
    Stingray or Sterling for sure!
  9. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002

I was about to chime in on the mid-level part as well ;)

The Stingray is a very good choice.
  10. Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Absolutely! Good ole freakin Carl, Wheres Meatwad? If you can get a Meatwad you get eternal respect from this community...
    Great idea
  11. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    That is why jean is my idol :D

Either bass your going to get your going to get a great bass. Ive owned all 3 you mentioned. Id go for the sterling being 13 not cause it maybe lighter on you(dont no if weight is an issue) I love all the basses you mention equaly. But for what you mention a sterling or stingray might be best to go to fit those styles as its to me the most versatile. IMO The rick sounds the best slapped.
  12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's what I was thinking... the term is relative;)

Both of those are nice instruments. If you like Marcus' sound though, the flat out easiest way to approach it is with a Fender Jazz. Don't hate them because they're beautiful:D