Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High end basses with low action

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jesse, Nov 1, 2004.

1. jesse

jesse

Mar 21, 2004
    Hi, could anyone help me with basses that I can get insane low action, like I mean soooooooo loww. Right now Im running a standard jazz and warwick streamer stage I with string guage of 30,50,70,90 with the action as low as possible. Im mainly running this because im heavvy into the slap techniques ans whhat not. Im on the market for a high end bass which will allow me to get the super low action I desire with hopefully only minimal buzz. I have looked into some high end companies but I dont really know how low they can go I would like some output from some of you guys because im sure im not th only guy going through this problem. Also the major problem with me is that im left handed so I can never really try any of them out.

THanks Jesse

2. kubicki...plus they're really versatile...and headless, so theres absolutely no dead spots at all...my ex-factor has the lowest action ive played....but im just curious..why the small guage of strings?...a the moment ive got 45-105 and they're too light for my taste

3. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Ken Smith Black Tiger 5 plays like butta :bassist:

4. IMO action is heavily depending on technique, how level the frets are and string tension. I suggest that you get your basses checked if you want to lower the action.

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Any bass can have low action, and as someone pointed out, what's low to you may be high for me, so a measurement of how low you are looking for your action to be may be a better start in pointing you in the right direction. That being said, mt vote for a bass that can have the strings sitting on the frets would be a Zon. The neck has little to zero relief, so you can set it as low as the bridge will let you.

6. jesse

jesse

Mar 21, 2004
    Alright, il try to clarify for u guys hopefully this will help, the strings are basically amlost touching the frets and I have a bad ass 2 of my jazz which is set as low as it can go, the thig im going for is the least tension of the left hand (my slapping/plucking hand) meaning I want to barely have to pull the strings to do the techniqies meaning im an extremely light player also I have broken my index finger before which is why I want to have to barely bull the strings cuz adter a certain point there is pain which is no good, so thats y im looking for a bass that is basically designed for what im looking for. I also know the jazz dosent have the best woods which is probably why im having trouble with it.

THanks Jesse

7. jesse

jesse

Mar 21, 2004
    Hi guys I also forgot to add, that I am not looking for anything with a p pickin configuration like my streamer stage I, because I feel the pickups are to close th the end of the neck which mess with my technique so I only use the jazz for slapping and the warwick for regular playing, so if anyone has anything please help me.

THanks Jesse

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Peavey Cirrus. The bubinga one is apparently an unstoppable slap machine!

9. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I also like super low action in at least one of my basses. My experience has been that to get really low action you need: A: a very good fret job/leveling/polishing and B: a flat radius neck (12" or flatter).

I have had two Warwicks (pretty flat radius) but the fret jobs were not as good, resulting in buzzing.

I recently had a Modulus GVJ4 with absolutely low action because the exceptional fret job and the flat fingerboard, so my guess is that all Modulus will give you such low action with NO buzzing.

I currently use a Yamaha TRB5, that has a really flat radius (I think is 15" or more) and the action is as low as I want it.

Fenders usually won't go that low because the fretboard radius (7.25 or 10).

Ernie Ball MM also have very low action, although the radius is more like a Fender so if you bend the string with such low action, it chokes.

Also keep in mind that bolt-on basses give you more flexibility as far as adjusting the action (you can put a shim in the neck heel, etc). whereas a neck-thru bass is fixed, so if the design does not allow low action, there is nothing you could do.

In sum: Zon, Modulus, Yamaha. Smiths also have such reputation.

Alsoif you find a good bass that you like, you can always take it a good luthier to level and polish the frets so the action will be perfect.

10. I don't think it has anytthing to do with the pup's. Rather with the number of frets. ;)

11. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    One more thing: some high-end basses are completely hand-made which is good if is made by let's say Michael Tobias, but I have had some hand-made basses from other very small high-end shops that were so off, the action was nowhere near playable for me. Beautiful instruments that took months to build nevertheless, but I wish they had used molds and/or machines to make things like the neck and fretboard.

In choosing a high-end brand, I will still go with a medium-sized custom shops, where they have a standarized method for building parts, which ensures consistency.

12. +1
    My cirrus has one of the lowest factory string setting of any bass I've played. But I think the tension of the strings on a cirrus would be too tight for your playing style. The great thing about the cirrus playability is the low action and great string tension. IMO the tighter the strings the better, expecially on the B.

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Wow, no mention of Lakland?! Dan and the crew sets 'em low and damn good! That includes the skylines.

14. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Look into a warrior bass. If you want it so low that all you have to do is think about moving your finger and a note come out, a warrior is for you. I had to raise mine from the factory setting and yet, you can still get them lower with no fret buzz. Its a flat neck with low action. My second choice would be a modulus.