Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High end basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tuomas, Apr 5, 2001.

1. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I got bored so I sold some basses. Actually I only kept my Jazz. Now I have some 3000 dollars but not a clue how I'm going to spend it, because I'm thinking of buying something that my fender-style collection has never seen. This would be something like Alembic, Ken Smith, Fodera etc.. I can't go out and try because there aren't that many high end instruments in finland. So do you have any experiences about instruments of this caliber? I'm looking for _a lot_ of punch for slapping and for some tapping stuff. I'm most interested in Ken Smith. Should I go used?

The only cool bass I've found around here was this neuser, but i'd love to have more options.

[​IMG]

thanks in advance.

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Are you planning on purchasing a 4-string? 5-string? That'll make a difference, of course...

Anyway, I really love my Spector NS-4 (US version). It's extremely well built and has amazing tones as well as the fact that it's very comfortable to play. You may be able to pick up a new one for around $3,000.

BTW: I noticed in your profile that you have a Fafner and EBS 4x10...I have the same setup. My Spector gets the most amazing tones out of that amp! :D:D:D If you don't buy the Spector, I won't be disappointed...that way there'll be even fewer bassists with my tone!;)

3. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. From 4 to 7. But I believe I'm going to go with five. Spectors aren't really my cup of tea although I love their sound. So rest in peace. But it's a lovely amp, wouldn't you agree?

Also, I found some pretty cool Ken Smiths off the ebay. Would it be plain idiocy to think about buying trought ebay?

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

When I was looking for a new bass last fall, I was really impressed by F basses. Not only are they beautiful, (pickup covers that match the top, too!), but the sound is tough to do justice in words. Some have tried, though. There is currently a very active thread on F basses if you do a search for it or just look at threads in the past 24 hours.

They are available in the Sweden, (I think), and the Netherlands for sure, among other European countries.

If I had 3 grand right now in the USA, I'd be going custom.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Y'know,

I think that people associate "high-end" with "high price" WAY too much. I'm not saying some of these instruments aren't worth the money; after all, the people who build them are not just laborers. Heck, sometimes, they're even greater artists than the people who are playing their instruments.

My contention is that it is possible to get the same sound, playability and quality from instruments costing less than $3000, and without the headache associated with owning something that will make you paranoid every time you leave it in the trunk of your car or when you put it back in your case to go use the restroom in between sets. If you're gonna sink 3K on a single bass, you'd better be backing Madonna or Phil Collins. If you ain't, you're just getting an expensive toy (maybe I'm exaggerating, but you know what I mean). You can get excellent instruments (especially used ones) for $1500. I'd consider instruments in that price range (and below) first before digging that deep into my pocket. Then again, I'm a broke graduate student.

Will C.:cool:

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think you're right, to a certain extent...there are loads of basses out there for $1500 or so that are absolutely great! But, I think at $3000 you are paying for some kind of artistry and hand craftsmanship. Maybe that's what you're looking for...I know I'll eventually jump back into that price bracket again! However, at that level, I think the improvements over a $1500 bass are often more psychological than sonic. But, psychology is important to a player!;)

BTW...what are you studying in grad school?

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no i don't. maybe you should elaborate.

9. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    hi,

why don`t you ask Dave Pushic of dpcustom.com about it.
    Just provide a sketch for a body shape and a headstock, choose your hardware, wood, electronics and so on, and you will definitely get your dream bass.

David

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I like getting $3000+ basses for $1500;)

Given that, I don't mind using whatever legal means is available, including eBay. Be careful (duh).

You can get a heck of a deal on a Smith on eBay. I've also seen a Marleaux 6, Roscoes and Elrick 6 go for about half what his budget is. "Used" is my preferred way to buy, my money goes farther and I get something I might not be willing to spend two times as much for.

JT, sounds like BW doesn't think it's necessary to spend big bucks unless you're making big bucks with the gear. Lots of people feel that way.

I'll bet you do, too;)

11. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Tuomas, Check out bassgear.com. I have sold a
    couple and bought a couple of used basses from
    people advertising on bassgear.com. Just bought
    an MTD for under $3000.00 2 months ago.
    Have fun!!
    Dan

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I think havin $3k to spend on a bass would be great. However, i think a MIA Deluxe Jazz Bass '5 would be a good move or a StingRay '5. then again i've never spent over $350 on a bass-i'm 14 just saving that much is that hard part. Hey-side note, i'm playing bass for the middle school big choir/band show, The Hustle, Love Song, YMCA, & some temptations song we just got today. thats all

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    So who did you work with Big Wheel? I assume you dont anymore, being that you sold the Beebensee. ;)

Tuomas, id say go with Fodera. You can find them for under $3000 (or, around it) pretty easily. Damn good stuff, and killer with soaps and ebony fretboard for that super punchy sound!

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i sure would love to find a bass that does what mine do and plays as well as mine do for $1500. in 11 namm shows and many visits to countless music stores in 15 states and canada, i couldn't.

until then, i'm going to have to pay for what i want/need.

then again, if i were playing for phil collins, or someone else (and presumably making a lot of money playing) it wouldn't change the fact that the bass was an "expensive toy" in some people's eyes.

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    What he said, JT.

No one. I got the Bebensee for $1500.:p

Will C.:cool:

16. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Of course, the "guy who plays for Phil Collins" uses a nice Yamaha that can be had new for substantially less than $3000.

17. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Thank you for all your replies. I wan't to add that this bass i'm looking for _is_ and expensive toy. Selling a bunch of stingrays that I've worked hard for is stupid in my opinion. I just wanted something different, not from this workhorse category. I think i'm going to get a Smith or a Fodera, as soon as I find one. There are actually plenty of those smiths out there.

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's exactly what you should do, then! It seems like a lot of people get hung up on arguing over price and what is a viable amount to spend on an instrument. Some people are bargain shoppers, and maybe can't understand why other people aren't...Similarly, some people, myself included, play for the shear enjoyment of playing, and actually get a rise out of playing an expensive, hand-crafted instrument, no matter the price! So, you should do the same, if that's what you want to do! :D:D

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I agree, RAM, except I'd guess I'd fit in the gray area (bargain shopper who likes nice basses;))

20. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It takes all kinds:D LOL

I just think that while I agree with you that bargains are usually worth looking for (and you seem to be very successful at it), there's something psychologically appealing about having your own brand-new, super-deluxe, ultra-high-end, "hand-built", one-of-a-kind bass guitar.

And, I inferred from Tuomas' original post that he's looking for something more in that category...I kind of like to think I'm in that category myself.:D