1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

high end basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ladros2, Jul 4, 2005.

1. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    living in ireland, i do not have access to high end basses :crying: , and know little about them but their specs and images, i was wondering if somebody could describe to me what exactly it is like to play a fodera, ritter or other high end.

the "best" i have had access to are two stingrays, one of which was in horrible condition, my g&l, a mia jazz and a king era aria, again, bad condition.

i have heard of ritters described as the rolls royce of basses, but i don't drive, so that means nothing to me.

the only way i'll ever be able to own one of these is if i can bypass export taxes, or move to america, neither of which are likely.

i'd just like to know what i'm missing out on. :confused:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not much I'd say. I'm more than happy with Vintage Fenders.

It's like holding a piece of art that you can play too. That's about it.

3. I think there is good chance you would be initially underwhelmed. It's my experience that there are more basses that are priced at hi-end points without really being well crafted. There's a good chance you might find one of those underachievers!

IMO, the beauty of a really well crafted instrument is how well it continues to just be "right" the longer you play it. It's my experience that Foderas usually fit into that category - they create a good first impression but continue to deliver well after the intial honeymoon is over.

4. Its very much the same in Australia, and Im a lefty too so there's about 5% of f'kall chance I'm ever gonna get to play a Conklin or a Drozd.

IME, the higher end production basses are more widely available and affordable.

having said that there's a very nice looking lefty Sadowsky on the Grooveshoppe website....mmm, GAS!