high end basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ladros2, Jul 4, 2005.

1. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    living in ireland, i do not have access to high end basses :crying: , and know little about them but their specs and images, i was wondering if somebody could describe to me what exactly it is like to play a fodera, ritter or other high end.

the "best" i have had access to are two stingrays, one of which was in horrible condition, my g&l, a mia jazz and a king era aria, again, bad condition.

i have heard of ritters described as the rolls royce of basses, but i don't drive, so that means nothing to me.

the only way i'll ever be able to own one of these is if i can bypass export taxes, or move to america, neither of which are likely.

i'd just like to know what i'm missing out on. :confused:

2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not much I'd say. I'm more than happy with Vintage Fenders.

It's like holding a piece of art that you can play too. That's about it.
  3. I think there is good chance you would be initially underwhelmed. It's my experience that there are more basses that are priced at hi-end points without really being well crafted. There's a good chance you might find one of those underachievers!

IMO, the beauty of a really well crafted instrument is how well it continues to just be "right" the longer you play it. It's my experience that Foderas usually fit into that category - they create a good first impression but continue to deliver well after the intial honeymoon is over.
  4. Its very much the same in Australia, and Im a lefty too so there's about 5% of f'kall chance I'm ever gonna get to play a Conklin or a Drozd.

IME, the higher end production basses are more widely available and affordable.

having said that there's a very nice looking lefty Sadowsky on the Grooveshoppe website....mmm, GAS!