high end basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mangle, Sep 24, 2002.

1. mangle

Dec 17, 2001
    Guayaquil, ECUADOR
    when price does not matter, wich basses do u think are the very best in quality, sound, etc?
    thank u all
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think that when you're spending thousands on a bass, you can't possibly buy "the best" bass. You can buy the one that fits you best, but that's even becoming increasingly difficult to do, since there are so many great luthiers out there to choose from.

It all comes down to a personal preference.
  3. I'd agree with RAM. The quality is going to be very high in many high-end basses, and the sound quality depends largely on the ear of the beholder. The great thing about the bass world now is that there are so many options available to us!:)
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    RAM is right. For me, the best are MTD, Brubaker and F Bass. Of those three, my favorite is my Brubaker... it does it all.
  5. I disagree. It has been scientifically demonstrated that the best basses ever made were the 1983 model Squier JV jazz basses. You can have mine for 4 grand!!

Actually, I totally agree. when you get up to the unlimited money level, comparisons become meaningless...what do you compare?

There is no doubt whatsoever that my Rob Allen MB2 was in every respect save one a finer bass than my Squier JV. It was much, much better made, much better workmanship, a dream to play, a joy to look at....

But the JV gives me a sound I can use.

Now, when you are comparing two high end basses, where the care and love are not so financailly limited, the bottom line is the sound. Only. And that is personal. Comparisons are invidious.
  6. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    I would have to agree also.
    Although I would have to go with the originator of the custom high-end bass....ALEMBIC!!!
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Those which are played with decent amplification.

Once that aspect is covered, the instrument crosses a threshold at a certain level of craftsmanship where the bass, which is actually a "machine", becomes "art."

And as any mature person knows, there is no "best artist" in any form of art.........which is why many who can afford to do so, own several basses - they appreciate different ones for different reasons.

Even the most highly individualized basses of all, true custom basses, have certain aspects that differentiate the luthiers. They typically aren't distinguished by being better than another - just "different."
  8. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    my Favorites are as follows..

Elrick, fodera, MTD.. thats my top 3 as of now
  9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    my top 3...
    F Bass
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Outside of the Greatest Bass Ever Built, the Streamer Stage 1, I'd have to agree with the other guys. Personally, I'd got with Warwick (surprise, surprise), MTD, Sadowsky, Lull, & Frudua.
  11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    har har har ;) don't you mean one of these...

or this one?...

12. jesse55

Jul 3, 2002
    what exactly is a 83 squier jv?
  13. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    JT, you're a mean, mean man! :p
  14. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    No.. we are not talking about Cats... Oh wait are you talking about those pieces of wood laying on your couch? You making a boat or something? :D
  15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Actually, mine is. To me, anyway, and that is all that matters.
  16. And that, friends, is happiness!
  17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :D aw, shucks, just pullin' the ole leg. :D.

not that one. :mad:
  18. I think they are actually paddles ;)

Absolutely!! And for me, my F Basses make me just that F'ing happy!!!:D
  19. Gee wiz.. JT spent so much cash on his basses, that he doesn't have the money to buy a new pair of trousers :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :p