Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High End bass's ( Need Help )

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TT, Feb 15, 2001.

1. TT

TT

Feb 14, 2001
    Hi guys,

Basically what I'm looking for is a nice high end bass guitar. I look at Shadowsky,Module and Warwick. In my bands I'm in, we play Metal,Funk,Jazz,salsa almost anything you can think of. I'm really looking for a good all around bass that can do it all under $3000.00 :) and a 4 string only. Thanks guys please leave your thoughts thanks........

T.

2. I would suggest looking at a more traditional sounding bass, if you're going to do both metal and jazz. I think the Sadowsky may be your ticket...It puts out huge support, is very well built, and versatile.

When I was searching for a high end 5er, I was all about finding a "versatile" bass, thinking that what that meant was a huge amount of EQ capability, so the bass could be a chameleon.

However, I'm now finding as I play more that the versatility is in my hands...I can play various styles on the same bass. As long as the tone isn't too distinctive, you can cover a lot of ground with just your hands.

I currently have an MTD 535. I'm doing three types of gigs, and the MTD does it all...An original "art rock" type band (influences like the Police, the Cure, Enya, Peter Gabriel, etc.), a disco/funk cover band, and I even play in church every now and then. The bass works great with all of these venues.

I'm applying the same thinking to the new amp I just bought...Ashdown ABM500 and Epifani 310 cab. Great basic sound that will let me express what I need to based on the style I'm playing.

--Len

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Well a Sadowsky is basically a very souped up Fender, and IMO Fenders are arguably the most versatile basses out there. Modulus basses have graphite necks, which some people love and some people hate. You'll just have to try one out. Warwicks can also be versatile. I've seen them used by people playing jazz to P-nut from 311. But some people think they are kind of metallic sounding, which can be good or bad depending on your taste.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    First of all, I really hate to harp on this, but try to spell manufacturers names correctly...I think that they deserve it.

In terms of spending under $3,000 for a 4-stringer, you've got a world of choices at your fingertips. And, with all those wonderful choices, you'll also get as many opinions, if not more. Case-in-point: Modulus is considered by many to be a high-end bass guitar. And, as such, many players regard Modulus to be the creme-of-the-crop. But, I personally cannot stand Modulus bass guitars. I owned one for 1-1/2 years and found it to be nothing that everybody claims it is (except it does have zero dead spots and zero neck warpage!). You may find that Modulus is exactly what you're looking for, on the other hand.

My bass is a Spector NS-4. Many pros in many different settings play one. Bass Player Magazine gave the 5-string version an incredibly warm review, and I can attest that the 4-string has every bit as good quality as the 5-string reviewed by the magazine. But, that doesn't mean it's right for you. However, I would definitely recommend that you consider it because it's fast to play and has a ton of tones lurking under its hood:D

As for Warwick, many people around here love 'em. I have not found Warwick to be as good as Spectors. Many will disagree with me. But, they don't compare, in my opinion, and Spector will almost always win out. Not that there's anything wrong with Warwick, but I think you'll find that the Spector is a better bass.

Sadowsky is a wonderful bass. I've never played one. But, coming from all I've read about them over the years, I think you'd do quite well with one. But, they're hard to come by in stores, so it's difficult to try them out, unless you contact Roger directly...he's got a purchase plan.

So, then we come down to Sadowsky versus Spector. Opinions vary, and these two basses vary even more. I prefer the look and feel of a Spector to a "Fender" feel...the Spector has more of a unique look to it, whereas Sadowsky is a high-end, high quality Fender.

Gentlemen...start your flamin'!!!:eek:

5. No reason for flames here. Everything you said is very well thought out and articulated. It so much comes down to a matter of taste here.

I agree with you totally about the Modulus. I ordered one from a dealer over the Net, received it, and sent it back 5 minutes later. I HATED it. Much of that was the coldness associated with the EMGs in combination with the composite fingerboard. Plus, I was coming from a StingRay 5, which had a warm throatiness that I still miss...it was my one-time lesson in not selling one bass to buy another.

You also don't need to necessarily go hugely high end price-wise. Mike Lull makes a fine Fender-type bass, and they can be had for under $2K easily. I love Laklands too, but they might not cut thru like you need for metal.

Warwicks are good, but I don't think they use wenge necks any more, and that's what made them great. I just don't think they are all that special anymore using other neck woods.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

No flames here, RAM. But I will put a little different spin on it.

TT, sounds like you're willing to go up to $3k. Well, after chasing basses around for so long, I'm getting tired of it and have been taking bids on a custom bass from luthiers to see if that will stop my GAS troubles. From what I've been receiving so far, $3k definitely puts you in the game if you don't mind the wait and the research for all the electronics and design.

If you can't wait or don't want the hassle, www.bassalone.com has a Status Barracuda 4 in unplayed condition for $1500, a used MTD 435 for $2495, and a Kinal "Maplefest" Custom with Basslines J's and a Barto preamp for I forget the price. Modulus and Roger Sadowsky are excellent choices as well, IMO.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I strongly suggest you look at a Roscoe in that price range. Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, they are extremely hard to beat when versatility and "bang for the buck" is a priority. Beatifully made and toneful and they play wonderfully, too.

8. I would go for a FODERA Monarch or Imperial or a ZON Legacy Elite. Both of these basses would have the versatility you are looking for. Not to mention incredible attention to detail, and great customer service. $3000 is a great price point because it will give you a great range of manufacturers to choose from. Try em all man!

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I agree with you on Spectors being better than Warwicks. I think even the Czech Spectors are better than any high end Warwick I've ever played. Apples & oranges, you know.

But Sadowsky's are something out of this world!!! I also thought they were supped up Fenders until I played one. I have 3 USA Spectors (NS-2, 4 & 5) & I love them dearly & will never part with them, & I compared my NS-4 & 5 to a Sadowsky 24 fret 5 string & I couldn't believe the difference in sound. If you are really considerind buying a high end bass, you have to call or email <a href="mailto:roger@sadowsky.com">Roger Sadowsky</a> & <a href="mailto:info@spectorbass.com">Stuart Spector</a>. (Click on their names to e-mail them) My opinion is that Spector's & Sadowsky's are the 2 best bass companies.

10. TT

TT

Feb 14, 2001
    thanks man I'm probably getting sadowsky

11. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I have to wade in with a vote for Roscoes, IMO they are do it all basses unequaled in my experience. You don't see many fours, but they are around. I've seen mint used Roscoes as low as $1,350 (amazingly low, they are worth twice that). The 5 string is incredibly easy to play, you may want to try one. The only basses I cannot comment on are Spectors. Then again, there is the whole bolt-on or neck thru issue...

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Here's another vote for Sadowsky.

I was on a quest for 3 months for a great fretless 5 string, and played many wonderful high end basses.

Of the ones that you mentioned, Modulus is not in the same class IMHO - they are beautiful, and have a stable neck, but even with Barts, there is a sterility that I can't get around - they would cut through in metal, but would not be good for jazz at all.

When I found my used Zon Sonus Custom, the person I bought it from(Jeff Rader:){Thanks again!}) also had a Sadowsky 5.

Man! The quality, playability and tone that bass had blew everything else that I have ever played out of the water!

We are talking Pedullas, Zons, Laklands, US Spectors(awesome,BTW!) Warwick Streamer Stage I and II(Not in the same class as these others IMHO), Roscoes, Alembics, Ken Smith, etc. None were the equal of Jeff's Sadowsky. Only the Ken Smiths and US Spectors came close.

If you can swing the Sadowsky, you will not be disappointed.

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Sadowski would get my vote as well. I aslo agree with the Spectors being better than Warwick.

Another Opiontion you may want to consider if you havent already, is the Fender Custom shop. In my opinion I like the tone of a fender better than most of the "high end" bass. SO if you like the look of a spector you can get it, and have the sound of a high end fender. (just an example) or you can tell them what type of sound you want or what you want in it and they will put it there.
    Just another option is all

14. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Here are two more suggestions: Elrick and F-Bass. Elrick makes a fantastic Jazz-type bass, and F-Bass Studio also makes a great Jazz-type bass but without the Jazz-type looks. I still can't get over that fretless Elrick with Pink Ivory fingerboard.....GAS³

15. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    *DM Turns in to a <B>ZON</B>BIE.. Z...O...N...Z...O...N...GIMME!!

DM:D

16. Bijou flamette here.....how do you know Sadowsky is wonderful if you have never played one? OK, I know, you go on what you read. (...full marks for the confession! Shows a commitment to objectivity that is becoming quite rare!).

I have played one , and loved it. But only for 5 minutes in a luthiers shop. Only one I have seen. It was in for undinging. Not enough to make a judgement on. However, I have a set of Sadowsky jazz Pups which are excellent, and I am addicted to the Sadowsky outboard pre-amp, which I have been using for the past 2 years. I think that a man who has the understanding of what a bass should sound like that can result in these products would scarcely produce a less than excellent bass...

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Before I would spend $3000 I would try EVERY bass I could get my hands on that's priced over $1000.

Heck, I'd be willing to drive six hours to get to a shop if I had to. For that kind of money you don't want to get the wrong bass!

18. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    for that kind of cash, get a custom built Conkiln 4 banger.

19. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what is "Bijou flamette"???

Objectivity...hmmm...you think I'm objective???;)LOL

20. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    This is how objective I really am...don't go out and try every bass over $1,000...Just go buy a US Spector!:D:D LOL