High End Cables. Hip or Hype?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SGT. Pepper, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Hip?

31 vote(s)
  2. Hype?

62 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Do you think high end cables like monster or planet waves really make a difference? I myself like Whirlwinds. $12.00 and guaranteed for life!
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No. High end cables are snake oil. Electronic signals are not complicated or demanding.

Though I do have a 10' Monster I use for some small things. I like the additional stiffness of the cable - it helps it not get tangled.
  3. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa

As for stiff cables, i just picked up a Fender cable that's SUPER STIFF (it's got the harder colored plastic sheath) and I'm really diggin it. I thought that I'd hate it, but the stiff jacket makes it hard to bend at a severe angle, so I somehow feel safer with it.

As for my patch cables, I just make my own out of failed cheap cables. I find that failure spot, and cut up the remaining pieces into 1-3 foot lengths. Works awesome!
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not in sound quality, but i buy monster cables because cheapie ones get loose internally and crackle etc.
  5. I wouldn't clasify planet waves as hype or high end, the switch on the one cable is one of the best inventions when you play more than 1 bass. But I do agree that the monsters and all but the switcher are hype.
    IMHO of course. :)
  6. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Whirlwind makes a really nice cable for over-the-counter stuff. I had a few that are still going string.

I think that Monster and Planet Waves are junk, but that is because for the same money I build my own that blow them away for sound, durability, and handling.

I make them, and so does Butch at Bayou Cables (as well as a lot of other places), and they are so much better than the "Foo-Teek" stuff that it isn't even funny.
  7. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    I lack soldering skills, so i have a 30 ft planet waves from my bass to my pedal board just because I don't feel as safe with the george L's i use as a patch.
  8. ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    As long as i have a noisefree sound i don't care what the cable is called.
  9. My 2 whirlwinds are the longest lasting (only lasting) leads I have ever had. I have had them for 2.5/3 years and they are both in perfect condition. They also seem to tangle less than any other leads i have ever used.

These are the ones with the sealed ends, not the silver ends.

I do have george L's on the pedal board, Yes they look cool but more importantly they save space on a cramped board.
  10. +1 about the quality issues.

I'll pay a bit more for a quality built cable with good ends, but beyond that IMO it's hype.
    I use all ProCo cables. They have a great warranty,"any excuse, even abuse", even though I've never had to use it.
  11. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I use a Planet Waves usually. It's been reliable through years of heavy use. I also have Peavey and Yorkville Sound and they are also good and reliable. None of these could be considered high end cables. I've tried a couple of the very expensive boutique ones. They don't sound better. Not for bass at least.

I use very high quality cable in my stereo system. I can notice a slight improvement there.
  12. I make my own cables with canarie and nuetrik components. Theyre much better than any monster cable out there. Cables arent the most important thing in a noise free setup, but if theyre the weak link, they CAN introduce noise and interference to the signal. Quality cables ALLOW your high quality components to do their jobs.

Normal gear = its not going to make much difference.

Recording = you bet your bippy there CAN be a difference.
  13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I use the same instrument cable (Belden 8410 cable and Switchcraft ends) that I built for myself in 1975 (yes, nearly 31 years ago). The angled plug has been replaced once but the straight plug is original.

So, quality cable is important...not 100% oxygen free micro shielded this, that and the other thing...

At least that's my opinion...
  14. slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    My Monster Bass 500 sounded noticeably better than the Whirlwinds I had before. And my Evidence Audio Lyric sounds better than the Monsters.

Crappy basses through crappy amps - might as well have a crappy cable. Also, active basses are affected less by cable choice than passive basses.

But high end passive basses into high end preamps? You can hear the difference.

Evidence Audio uses different cabling technology and I hear the difference. Enough so that I gave my Monster 500 away and bought another Lyric.

YMMV but I hear it.
  15. For recording? You bet - hip! For live? I wouldn't spend the money, but to each their own.
  16. my 30 foot monster crapped out in like a month and the guy at the store told me it was my head... so now i have an SWR700
  17. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006

I agree with this very much. I also use a monster bass 500 and like it very much. I use monster speaker cables too and I really do hear a difference.
  18. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I usually use the jumper cables from my drummer's van, so what do I know? :rolleyes:
  19. aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    I use Bayou Audio Cables and love 'em. they're better than any other cable I've used and they don't cost nearly as much as Monster cables. you can get them in a bunch of different colors, too. Butch is a TB kind of guy, so give him some business. you won't be disappointed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.