Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

high end cabs (epifani, bergantino, aguilar, eden)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by worldwidepants, Dec 9, 2001.

1. I am currently playing an eden 410 xlt, and I am very happy, but I am looking into some other options. I want to hear other opinions. I know it's hard to put into words but could some one who has played all or most of these cabs please compare and contrast for me. I want all the dirt- punchiness, clarity, horn hiss, chest thump, etc..

thanks
    jake

2. Well, I have played the Epif 3/10, the Berg, and I owned an eden 4 /10-1/18 xlt setup, and none of them sound as correct as my Wayne Jones cabs, they are rare as hens teeth, but worth the search!

3. wayne jones is out of the question, I know I won't settle for one, and at 1200 each I can't afford it.

4. I haven't owned the 410XLT, but I've owned the 210XLT and 210T, so I have some idea what you're getting out of the Eden.

I've also owned a couple of Acmes (B2 & B4), a Euphonic Audio VL-110, an Aguilar GS-410, and just acquired an Epifani 2x12.

The Aguilar was in a similar vein as the Eden stuff--a bit smoother and not quite as deep, nor as loud. A good cab, but not amazing (to my ears). I'd certainly recommend trying it out if possible, but I'm not sure I'd swap a D410XLT for it. I've also heard a couple of the Ag 1x12's, but I don't remember them sounding as good as the 4x10.

The Acmes, EA, and Epifani are different beasts altogether, for better or worse. The Acmes are very deep and open and natural sounding--the low B just rolls effortlessly out of them--but they're not very bright and not very loud, so they're not the best cabs for rock (IMHO). The little EA put out an amazing amount of sound for a box only slightly bigger than my 4-space rack, but it didn't have the warmth that the Acmes or even the Eden had--it was much more like a studio monitor, very clean sounding.

I just got the Epifani 2x12 a few days ago, and it's been a revelation--nearly as deep sounding as the Acme 4x10 (which I still have), but with the smooth clarity of the Aguilar (which I just sold). It's also smaller, lighter, and louder than either. The Acme will probably get sold to buy an Epi 1x12, after this...

I haven't yet had the chance to try it in a band setting, but I'm expecting very good things. I'll also qualify my comments by say that I haven't had the chance to try the Berg stuff, but I've heard good things about it, as well. Being in Nebraska and Pennsylvania, I also haven't had the chance to go into a shop and hear a lot of the stuff head-to-head, so I'm really relying on memory of my old cabs. YMMV!

Mike

5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    With 3 Epi 12's, no guitarist is safe!

6. Since my guitarist likes a pair of 100-watt Marshall half-stacks, I'll take whatever help I can get!

Mike

7. Ive had my epifani 2-10 cab for about 4 years now.I love this cab.Its very portabe and has a huge sound.Nick Epifani is actually building a custom t 3-12 cab now.Thats what i want next.There is something special about nicks cabs,especially in the highs.Very transparent and natural sounding.Check them out.
    www.Epifani.com
    p e a c e

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm personally a big fan of EBS cabs. IMHO I think they're about the loudest, cleanest, punchiest cabs around.

Even if you're not interested in them, you're definitely not looking at a complete list of gear if you consider names like Aguilar and Eden but exclude EBS.;)

9. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    just ordered me an Eden D-410XLT, and love it.:D