High end caution

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mybluespector, Mar 25, 2004.

1. mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    Hey i just thought i would brieng this thought and warning out for any one that is about to buy a high ender from a music store. I went into a local music store that had a very nice warwick thumb that they must have had for years or somthing! It was still new and with a new price but they have never taken care of it! I dont think it was ever waxed or oiled! The bass was dry but i dont there was any bad effects from the body from this! But the neck was so dry it kinda felt lumpy! I do know that warwicks have a natural feel to them cause i own 2 of them but this was like bumpy. The neck was so dry that the wood had shrunk up and the frets were out enough to send ya to the hospital if ya played it. So please make sure the neck feels good when ya go to a music store! I wonder if ya could even get a neck like that back to normal!?
    I really felt sorry for this bass so i asked for a very low amount for it and they laughed and said the bass was fine!
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Sounds like that's why its been on their wall for so long . . . sometimes you just have to know when to walk away.

Anyone who buys ANY bass without first playing it and checking it out deserves what they get . . . buyer beware, even with reputable brands there are sometimes lemons . . .
  3. mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    I also give bass lessons and have several students and i will tell you what some of them have money! Or there folks do. Cuase it has happend more than once that i will get some 14 year old kid that has never played in his life and comes to class with a crappy bass! I teach him for a month or so then they show up with a new G&L that his parents spent like 3 grand on! Ohh that makes me mad! But you know that is who will get that bass some day! But to me thats kinda like waiting till youre kid turns 16 and buying them a new jag or somthing! Just a bunch of crap
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, the "lemon" here was the shop, because they did not take care of the bass. Many Warwicks are oil-finished, they feel were nice, almost silky, but when they are not treated properly, they will dry out...
    What a bunch of idiots those in the shop are! Ruining such a nice instrument!
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I definitely agree with the last part, but many internet stores these days offer decent no-questions-asked trial periods... 72 hours for bassnw, and I think the same is true for basscentral.com and others. So, using reasonable caution, it's possible to buy and then try, and not get burned if the bass doesn't meet expectations.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that it's better to try first, but some don't want to be limited to what's in stock in local walk-in stores.
  6. mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    Everything is like this these days! Its been a very long time since i went into a music store and there was someone there that knew anything about music! Everything is like that these days! You can go to a garden store and they couldnt tell the diff between mulch and dirt. If i could open my own music store i would have a bass player in the bass section and a guitar player in the guitar section and so on and so on!
  7. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    This kind of reminds me of when I went into a store last year and saw this nice Yamaha with the frets protruding of the board a good 3 mm. Completely unplayable. Here they have thousands of dollars hanging from their walls and they can't even control humidity!!!
  8. This is why I am glad to have a family store in my area, that carries big names. The staff are the same guys who are middle-aged and balding (in some cases) and you find them in their blues or rock bands ever saturday night, jamming down in the district (our bar/club scene). They are a wonderful group, and it's very hard to get hired there, especially if you are young. To be honest, the store sells too many Fenders and Peaveys to my liking, but they are all in good shape, it's obvious they take care of their stuff. www.griggsmusic.com is their site. I have never been to a GC or big chain retailer, but I am not sure I ever want to when hear these "horror" stories.