High-End Cort???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Groove, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Groove

Jan 13, 2001
    I just purchased a Cort Artisian 4 string for a customer of ours and I was so impressed I bought one for myself. Just curious if anyone else has one or has tried one of these basses out, and what is thought of them. I have sold Cort, among many other brands for years and I never would have guessed that Cort could produce such a fine instrument. Five piece neck-thru wenge/maple neck, solid flame maple wings and the very impressive Bartolini MK-1 pick-ups. I normally wouldn't have purchased this kind of bass but at 30% below cost (Cort blow-out special price) it was a must. Has anyone else tried these basses out?
  2. I owned a Cort flying "V", back in my lead guitar playing heyday (mid 80's), and would have thought that Cort and High End used in the same sentance would have been an oxymoron at the time. I understand that the Cort/Curbow's are good instruments, though.

Solid Flame maple wings' eh?
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Those Artisans are great basses for the price, almost bought one when I was looking for a new fretless 5. The Curbows are really nice, but I like the Artisans even more.
  4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I almost had the chance to buy an Artisan A6 at Ebay.. but I lost the Bid.. That was before I got the Cort Curbow.
    I will definitely look for those models. In fact its a shame that the A6 will no longer be produced.
  5. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    i will definately be purchasing a cort fretless four artisan within the next month. i tried the curbow but i have to say the artisan sounded better.
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    believe it or not, the conklin groove tools basses are made by cort as well. they are EXTREMELY well made basses, awesome bargains for the money.
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I had an Artisan 6 for a while and thought it was a tremendous bass for the money, however, it is by no means in the same class as a high-end bass (nor would it be expected to be at that price). Mine was well-made but weak sounding and never felt quite right. I sold it and bought an Alembic Epic 6 which is, as might be expected, a lot better in all aspects except weight.
  8. Groove

Jan 13, 2001
    I actually have one of the Conklin Groove Tool 4 strings. I love the body and neck woods, they couldn't be better. The only thing that could use an upgrade is the pick-ups. Not very good tone out of those Mighty Mites!
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've been recommending the Artisan B4FL for the last couple of years. It's "the" bargain fretless IMO. Getting past the name is the hardest part which is the same problem Peavey has.