1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

High end gig bag for Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Sep 4, 2008.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I've just bought an Overwater C Bass which is kinda thunderbird shape and my Ritter thunderbird case fits it pretty well but it's not thick and padded enough for my liking just wondered if anyone knew of anything better I could buy.

Thanks

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I've been looking for a thunderbird gigbag for a few months now. I was hoping that if I found a ritter (they're currently going under) it would do the trick. : /

What I did find is an epiphone bag, but it's about as good as wrapping the bass in a sheet - so DON'T do that. Last week I picked up one of those big square DEAN bags. The bass with the epiphone bag fit inside it so it seems protected now, but that thing is huge and ridiculous looking on my back.

Plugging into this thread cuz if anyone finds something I want to know about it. If you ever want to sell the ritter, please let me know too, as I think it's probably a middle ground btwn the dean and the epiphone.

3. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Good gig bags = Reunion Blues. They are the best bag around.

G

4. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    holy hell 400+ dollars for an "extreme" bag? that's worth more than some TBIRDS out there.

I don't know what the OP want's to spend, but my EPITBIRD is in a 40.00 EBAY bag, and yes, they are cheap, and no I would not pile a speaker cabinet on top of it while transporting, and no they were not meant for riding your bicycle to a practice place with it strapped to your back...but again, most people just need them to protect from rain/snow/dirt, not from getting run over by a car, or being dropped out of a box truck while bringing in the gear to a show.

p.s. the bag is well padded, and it works for me, even my Dillion TBIRD fits inside ( it has a slightly longer headstock than your typical GIB/EPI bird )

EDIT: Reunion DOES make a 30 dollar bag, but according to the specs, it is 10mm padded, where these EBAY bags are 20mm padded, and it is not "form fitted" exclusively for TBIRDS.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    You da man ;)

7. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    I concur. Mr. Hart is a knowledgeable and tasteful cat.

8. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Sounds like a great alternative to a Reunion bag, but spend the money on something, 'cause it's only ONE mishap away from you regretting it was wrapped in a shopping bag. Plus you'll have it for life!...(plus it looks cool!;)).

p.s. a hard case still works

9. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Wow! I just checked out the link. All I can say is Reunion Reschmoonion!
    Those are some heavy looking bags, and the price?...out standing!
    I actually have two old reunion bags, but am still shy a couple of cases. Thanks for the tip James.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

I love mine!

probag_leather_double_bass_bag%20011.

probag_leather_double_bass_bag%20014.

11. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Look up Mono Bags. I just bought the M80 for just under $200 for my new Ken Smith and it's GREAT!

12. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    like your post says it does look ridiculous carrying the thing around. In the picture, I have my EPI-Bird in it's bag, and it is a form fitted bag nice-fit, great for the TBIRD bodied basses, but as you can see in the picture, it DOES look ridiculous with 14" sticking over my head where I have to be aware of door frame heights and duck when I walk thru them.

My point was, no matter what bag you buy whether 30 dollars or 300 dollars, the BASS is long, and you aren't going to be comfortable carrying it if your trying to get to practice on a bicycle.

5791728282_ORIG.

JamesHart is 100% correct, his highend bag will take a lot more abuse than the cheaper ones, but I have used this nylon bag for over 4 years, without an incident to the contents with many "toss it in the truck" episodes, and always remember: If you are trying to protect a 2000 dollar bass in a bag---GET A CASE--- ( see my post #4 )

13. Which reminds me. I was looking at those body glove bags because my Levys is totally giving out on me. Anyone have experience with one?

Though that cowhide bag at Probag looks too kampy to *not* buy...

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    to each his own... I stuff about $6000 worth of basses in my double bag. I don't have or want a case.

15. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    no doubt, I was not arguing in any way. For the highend basses I have, they came with HSC's, so for me, the bag is just convenient.

16. Hardcases are non-starters for me as well, simply because I need to be able to carry a buttload of gig stuff all the time, so slinging the bass on my back is kinda key. But I understand how the extra protection of a hard case can be attractive... especially where a tour van is part of the equation.