Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High-end Hard Cases

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by .matthew e wengerd., Jun 3, 2005.

1. Boy, the archives didn't help much here...

Whe I get my Eshenbaugh SC6, I plan on getting/modifying a hardcase for it. The only hard case I've owned was a pretty crappy SKB (or similar) molded case that came with a Peavy I owned. The feet pushed through the plastic in a matter of weeks.

I want to get a nice hard case and create my own moulded foam bed for it and upholster it. The interior won't be too hard of a problem, but I am wondering what's available in decent, rugged, reasonably weighted hard cases out there. I'd prefer no tweed and would prefer something that minimizes wear. Whatd'ya got?

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    There are a great number of options for NICE cases on Ebay. Road cases and such are one area where the bay really shines.

Angstrom cases which is out of Canada will provide you with a full bore ATA road case with blank foam that you can customize for $200. So thats the top end of what you need to spend and you can shave down from there.

3. That's not bad.

I should clarify, though, that I am not looking for a flight case as much as a day-to-day hard case.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I like the basic TKL cases, or G&G bound end cases (used by Fender and other companies)

5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I have an SKB case and I think it seems reasonably hard wearing. BUT no way is it in the same class as a Hiscox case, these are pretty much indestructible. I saw the guy in my local store actually jump up and down hard on one (for demo purposes) and it never moved.

6. I didnt' realize TKL had such a broad range of products. It looks like there might be some rather affordable options to suit me in their line. I didn't get much of a chance to browse their site at work....Are their cases moulded or wod-and-fabric? I'm thinking the moulded cases might be easier to strip to make a custom moulding. The trombone case I customized was foam moulded.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I once bought a Warwick "Rockcase" on Ebay for $79, it looks a bit like a flight case, but made cheaply and is very light like a 'regular' case. It had just an empty rectangular foam compartment, not cut to shape for any specific bass.

I bought a large piece of 2" foam, cut it to fit in the case, then traced around the bass, and now I have a great, light, non-ATA case for around town when I don't want to use a gig back or a heavy ATA case. Worth every penny.