Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High-End Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zavala, Mar 10, 2003.

1. zavala

zavala

Mar 6, 2003
    Tennessee
    does anyone out there have a high-end ibanez bass?? like a 1200 series or up?:confused: If so let me know what you think of them. Please no hate mail.:spit:

2. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    I have a SR1200, early nineties.

Construction and quality wise, it's the same as a SR800.

I've always liked soundgears. Have you played one yet?

3. zavala

zavala

Mar 6, 2003
    Tennessee
    yeah, i bought a SR885 back in 99 and liked it a whole lot. so much that i bought a SR5005 this year because it was my dream bass since i was 13. i don't care what people say i'm just following a dream.

4. I have an Ibanez SR1000, w/ EMGs up for trade right now. They are good basses, but I just cant lay the funk with it like my fender or spector

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    SR-1206 here - IMO the neck-through design, 5-piece neck, and mahoaony/maple body give it a very "balanced" sound. It's a completely different beast from my J-bass, but I love them both. :D

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    i fell in love with a SR3000.. with the Bartolini preamp and pickups.. those were lovely

D

7. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

I had 2 BTB's 1005 one walnut and one flamed maple, they sounded good but i sold both to get a cirrus 6 and a Warwick.
    Here's the flamed maple;)

8. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

9. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I love the high end BTB basses. The SR3000 sounds and look really nice but I dont like the skinny neck. The BTBs are cool looking, nice sounding, and nice playing. And, they finally got better electronics in the higher end models.

10. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Zavala, can you post a pic of the 5005? I'm curious about what those look like.

11. zavala

zavala

Mar 6, 2003
    Tennessee
    yeah i'm working on getting a group shot of my 2 basses and my amp. i'll post it soon. thanks for the responses. also if you have pics post them please!

12. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I own a '94 SR506 six string with an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp and soon-to-be-added EMG dual coils.

Sounds great.

Plays even better.

13. zavala

zavala

Mar 6, 2003
    Tennessee
    anyone out there have a SR1305PM? if so what is the diffrence between them and the SR5005?

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Isn't this an oxymoron or "contradiction in terms"!!! ;)

If it's an Ibanez - it aint high-end!!

15. zavala

zavala

Mar 6, 2003
    Tennessee
    belive it or not the quality of some ibanez's are greater than others. plus if you would have learned to read you would have seen my request for no hate mail. last time i checked gary willis played a ibanez. can you play as good as him?

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Who can't take a joke then? I am tempted to say : Lighten up!!

PS Gary Willis' bass is designed to be as "no frills" as you can get - that is, no tone controls and basic wood. He wanted it to be as simple as possible and he gives a clear explanation of that on his website - maybe you should have read that? :meh:

17. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Scanning through a few old BP ads, the biggest difference would be the body woods and shape. 1305's were a padauk/mahoghany/padauk sandwich, while 5005's were constructed from saman. The 5000 series also had curved bodies ala Spectors as well as monorail-type bridges. I believe the neck specs (Padauk and Wenge with a Wenge fretboard), electronics and general level on construction were the same for both.

18. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    In the words of DHC, "knock it off, Bruce".

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm currently selling off gear to hock up for an SR5005 (zavala, can I have yours? ;) ). Killer bass. For some strange reason, Ibanez has mojo for me. I've spend countless hours on other basses, but Ibanez basses usually end up giving me the best mojo.

The upper end stuff is just as good as any bass in the price range, but it's belittled and usually overlooked on account of the lower end stuff. Which is a gross understatement of the actuall gear they put out. The 1200, 1600, 3000, and 5000 lines are all excellent basses.