1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

High End IEM Advice

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by pajohnso58, Oct 27, 2018.

1. pajohnso58

pajohnso58 Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2007
    NJ
    I have been using a pair of Westone dual driver molded IEMs for many years, but it's now time to replace them. I am zeroing in on three products and am looking for advice from the TB community.

Ultimate Ears UE 11 Pro
    64Audio A4t or A6t
    Westone ES60

These all seem like great options. At the moment, the 64Audio A6t is in the lead based on advice from a national touring act I know and a knowledgeable friend at church who has them. 64Audio also has a model designed specifically for Nathan East who is one of my favorite players. His signature series costs a bit more than I want to spend, but these two endorsements are pushing 64Audio to the top.

2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    AFter tons of research, 1964 was my choice about 5 yrs ago - I have 2 sets of theirs. Qi's and A8's.
    My band were 1964 "artists" a couple of yrs ago, but now 64Audio seems to be targeting the audiophile crowd these days and not musicians as much. They also appear to be REAL proud of their product price increases. :(
    The UE11's my guitarist had sounded great, but he never got used to using IEM's and still doesn't. Will have a wedge at tonight's gig. I'll be IEM. :)

I'd say they are all about the same level..
    Others have said the JH Audio are better than the UE.. no experience there. .sorry.

3. monkeyland

monkeyland

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Endorsing artist: Curt Mangan Strings, JH Audio
    Don’t over look JH Audio

Jerry invented the IEM as we know it and founded UE, who basically makes all of his old designs now. The current JH stuff with the freq phase tech is really great.

4. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    If you let us know why those are your shortlist, that might help us give you advice. The UE11 appears to have a pretty different sound profile (weighted towards bass) to the two 64 Audio models and the Westone ES60 (which seem to be going for flatter profiles). I'm sure that the 64s and Westone still have plenty of low end headroom for kick & bass, but the UE seems to be more specifically designed for that. I've no personal experience with any of these models though and I'd certainly be interested to hear from anyone who does.

s0c9 likes this.