Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High-End in Basses Cambridge, MA (Boston)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'll be there for a meeting next week for a few days. I know there are tons of great books stores, there but what about basses? I would like to see a few high end basses like Foderas and Sadowskys that I don't see around here? Also, where might I hear some great playing?

2. How about a tour of the Pedulla shop, which is in Rockland? It's a nice little drive from Boston, and the scenery is top-notch.

3. You best bet would be stores around Berkelee which pretty easy to find by cab or the T.

Jeff

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    The Guitar Center on Commonwealth has a decent selection. The Daddy's right across from Berklee has absolute crap for basses, and they're set up poorly. Only ones I found interesting were a 5-string Cirrus and a couple American Fenders. Other than that, it's cheap Ibanez and Squires.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks guys. I've seen the stores arouond Berklee before and they are pretty nice. What I like most in that area is Tower Music, Virgin
    now, I think. I may call Pedulla. Thanks again.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Or you could take a two-hour detour and go to NYC, home of Sadowsky and Fodera. :D

7. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    I've never visited this shop which is located in Somerville (right next door to Cambridge) but their website advertises that they will be getting Sadowsky shortly.

http://www.rockcityguitar.com/rc/index.asp?.r=10837955

In Cambridge - Scullers and Ryles book top regional and national jazz acts.

You can check to see if anyone is coming to Berklee or if they have any faculty concerts coming up.

www.boston.com (The Boston Globe site) and www.bostonphoenix.com (local alternative weekly) probably have the most comprehensive listings.

Enjoy your stay.

8. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Two hours? Are you folding space? :eyebrow: it's at least a 4 hour trip from beantown to NYC.

But yeah, Boston blows for boutique bass (as well as for bass ball :ninja: :eek: )

NYC is where it's at :cool:

How's that for pride.

I do take the 6 everymorning to work. I don't think you get much more new york than that.

9. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Go to Rock City Guitars in Somerville. Say "Hi" to Justin and Corey, they are both bass players. Corey visits TB sometimes, he posts under "Rock City Guitar" user name. They always have some cool stuff in stock. They had Metros in stock last time I was there, along with Tylers and Ristolas. Plus they have the biggest selection of 12 string basses you'll see anywhere. Corey will probably let you demo a bass or two through his Acoustic 360 rig. Great little store, great guys.

10. w. edgar evans

w. edgar evans

Jan 21, 2004
    The Boston GC (Commonwealth) had a nice selection of Warwicks when I was there, and several Pedullas (as of May, 2003). I saw a pretty good variety of used instruments floating through there from time to time include a Ken Smith once, but it's kind of hit and miss. Mars (when it was there) used to carry Euro Spectors and Moduluses (Moduli?), but they went out of buisness in aught 2.

If there's a guy named Owen still working in the bass department at GC, he claims to have a pretty good collection of boutique instruments you might ask him about.

Other than that, my old band, the Max Funk Institut, may be playing if you are in the MIT/Central Square area....

w.e.e.

11. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    I've had a few Pedulla basses over the years; with a couple being purchased new. Mike has actually called me more than once on the fone to better field a few Q's I shot him via email. Very smart, engaging and funny guy. He wasn't able to extend any shop-visit invites due to insurance regs however.. at least as of a couple years ago. Let us know if you can get a tour.. and bring yer digi-cam!
    -mb

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I was in Rock City the other day. Not much there for basses at the moment, unless you like 8 and 12 strings. If that's the case you'll be in heaven. Justin may have his F bass hangin around though. They always have the full line of Bergs. For pure entertainment you can't beat Rock City! Those are my boyz! :D

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :D

Sorry, I wasn't thinking in terms of triangles. I had "it's 2 to Boston from here and 2 to NYC from here, so it's 2 from Boston to NYC" :rolleyes: :p

The failings of Socratic method.

14. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Boston used to be great for guitars and basses. I remeber when E.U. Wurliutzer's was still around, they used to ahve some good stuff. Daddy's used to be the butique center of boston. They carried Mesa-Boogie (still fairly boutique then), Modulus, Warwick, and I think Zon. Now they just sell the basic big boys, Fender Gibson, Ibanez, Peavey, Gretch, Marshal, Ampeg, Hartke. It all went down hill once GC showed up. I hate blaming a single store for the crapifying of the areas stores, but there was a definite corelation. When GC first arived here, they actuall had some realy nice stuff, alot of which the other local stire had. Eventually the other store stopped acrying the product that GC carried. After that GC seemed to drop a lot of the higher end brands, by then the damage was done. If you can get down to Weymoth, there's a place called Matt's Music that has Modulus basses. There's also a place called Brockton Music, that caries some boutiquy stuff

Brockton Music:http://www.bostonguitar.com

Matt's Music:http://mattsmusic.com/

Neither is a favorite, but there's alway something to see there.

~Paul :)

15. w. edgar evans

w. edgar evans

Jan 21, 2004
    Wurliutzer's is no more? :(

~w.e.e.

16. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Wurlitzer sold out to GC.

17. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Exactly! Guitar Center would be your best bet for good bass stuff unless you make the trip to Pedulla. There is another place called Cambridge Music (2 locations, one on Mass Ave in Cambridge, the other near Berklee) that occasionally gets in some gems, you just have to catch it on the right day.

I lived in Beantown for nearly 15 years meself, this post bought on MANY flashbacks! :D

18. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I was in Boston Guitar (located in Brockton, ma) the other day, and he has a Lakland DArryl Jones 4 string jazz, some other Lakland (a 4-94 maybe?), a Suhr jazz bass, thunderfunk head, Glockenklang head of some sort.

19. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Didn't someone recently post that they played a Stambaugh, FBB, and Nordie or Benne or something at one of the Boston shops recently?

20. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    yeah, they were all used at the Boston GC. I've seen them, they're nice basses, but second-hand. Actually the FBB was a bit disapointing, the B string was floppy as hell. More the customer, who ordered it's fault for ordering a 32" scale 6-string. Otherwise it's a beutiful bass :) The Stambaugh is beautiful, really something. No Nordi that I remeber, but there were a few other used 'tiques there.

New, they basicaly have Ibanez, Fender, MusicMan, Spector, Schecter, and Warwick. Not bad, but kinda far from boutique, or really high end. Oh if you do go, there's a Warwick that I just love you should check out. It's a limited edition, with a flamed Koa top, an "W" inlays at the 12th fret. I generaly hate Warwicks, but this one called to me and delivered. Oh, they also have an NS design EUB, that is so fun to play, what a great instrument.

GC's stock isn't all bad, it's more the way they come into town and steal all the local buisiness that pisses me off. They're the WalMart of Guitar shops. I'll go in and try stuff, but I do avoid buying anything there if I can help it.

Brockton/Boston Guitar has a Thunderfunk? I'll have to check that out!

~Paul (I miss Wurlitzer's) :)