1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

High end instrument stores

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Drop1, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Drop1

Drop1

Mar 28, 2019
    Are there any national chains that sell high end guitars /basses? I'm talking in the $4000 to $10,000 range.

It seems most of these are limited to online orders. We used to have a cool place here but GC put them out of business which is odd since they carried stuff GC would never dream of putting in the showroom.

I'd really like to walk in a store and put my hands and ears on some nicer gear. Its proving a difficult thing to accomplish.

Turbo Sparky and jamro217 like this.
  2. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    National chains- no. GREAT independants that sell dream basses-yes. Bass Central in Florida is a wet dream. Chicago Music Exchange......there are lots of them. Google bass guitars.

GregC, smogg, Dominic DeCosa and 13 others like this.
  3. Drop1

Drop1

Mar 28, 2019
    Hmm. I would assume New Orleans should have a decent store as musical as the city is. Just havent found it yet.

jamro217 likes this.
  4. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Coincidentally, I'm working in Orlando starting tomorrow through the weekend and had been considering going over to Fern Park and visiting Hopper at Bass Central after work on Friday if I had the energy. It's a fun store, but my GAS is totally suppressed, if not permanently cured, as yours should be,;) so I don't know if I'll be fighting the traffic after all.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  5. Drop1

Drop1

Mar 28, 2019
    I'm in the middle of Louisiana. I know theres nothing in my town. We used to have a store called "The Perfect Bass" but they are gone.
    Seeing as no matter where I go I will have to travel, I intentionally left off the location. I dont mind taking a plane for a day if a store has killer inventory.

bordinco90 and TolerancEJ like this.
  6. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    If you decide to go to Bass Central, look on their website first and verify that they will have the items of interest in the store. I recall that they have a number of instruments in storage at any given time.

7. Tewest86

Tewest86 Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    We don’t. Baton Rouge used to have “The Perfect Bass” but they are long gone. That’s where I played my first Roscoe and MTD bass.

8. Drop1

Drop1

Mar 28, 2019
    I loved that place and it was 10 minutes away from my house. They should have pushed sales online a bit more. They may have been able to survive. I think they chose a poor location. New Orleans would have been a much better site for the store. So much tourist traffic. Not dinky BR.

PsyDocHill and TolerancEJ like this.
  9. I told my wife I want to have a vacation in Florida because Disney World is there. Little does she know one of my top plans would be checking out Bass Central.

I also told her I want to see Chicago sometime (Bass Club Chicago & Chicago Music Exchange).

10. There are a few. I know Here in NC we have a store want to say in Greensboro that mainly focuses on boutique bass gear. Also some companies have what is essentially a showroom if you happen to be near one or may be close while on vacation.

11. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    :)

wagdog, Lownote38, slugger and 5 others like this.
  12. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Bass central is 45-60 mins from Disney just so you know. Opposite end of the area. Really nice guys there, you will like it.

TinIndian, JMarkD and TolerancEJ like this.
  13. Wissen

Wissen

Nov 11, 2007
    Central PA
    I dropped into Bass San Diego last fall when I spent a week out in SoCal, and it was a pretty awesome place. I played a Sadowsky and a Fodera through a Bergantino, and I know all of those brands get tossed around pretty frequently here, but I guarantee you I'll never have a chance to own anything in this price range. They also have Aleva Coppolo and a bunch of other high-end brands, and apparently I had only missed the Aleva guy by about a half hour. Compared to GC the inventory felt sparse, but thinking back on it they probably had 20 basses on the wall. In that price range, it was enough.

The guys running the shop were warm and accommodating, but didn't trip over themselves to hold my hand through anything. They had stuff to do, so they obliged me and grabbed a couple axes off the wall even though we all knew I had no intention of purchasing anything that day. We made a little small talk and if I were a more shameless person I'm sure I could have engaged him more, but I feel weird about wasting people's time, so I was probably a little too timid.

Funny enough, playing a $10k bass and a $6k bass just reinforced that my 08 Fender MIA Jazz will probably be all the bass I ever need. But that's a tangent this thread doesn't need.

14. There are a few in the nation's capital & surrounding areas, but I'm actually afraid to go there!

dbsfgyd1 likes this.
  15. In Eugene, Oregon there is McKenzie River Music.

FatBoutedGirls and Viggo51 like this.
  16. If you really want to go to bass nirvana, find a way to finagle your way into a NAMM show.
    I had a close friend who owned a guitar store and he put me down as a "employee " to get me a credential.
    Every bass everything on earth. Not to mention guitar, drums,PA, straps cases picks you name it.
    It's also where I met Carol Kaye, Will Lee, Lee Sklar......way cool.
    Every player ought to make the pilgrimage at least once!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  17. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    Several of the posts here tell the story of why high end stores can't stay open. "I played **** but will never buy one," "They should have focused on selling online," etc..
    Tire-kickers don't put money in the cash register.
    At my shop, the high dollar basses, guitars, amps, etc., don't go on the sales floor. I rely on the network I've built of folks who will actually spend their money with me, and I call them when I have the higher end items.

18. Finagle - I learned a new word today!

Element Zero, BOOG and Pdaddy1978 like this.
  19. LOL..... It's sorta redneck for " weasle your way into".!