1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

High end Japanese Sadowsky????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bubinga5, Nov 4, 2010.

1. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
  2. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Rondo was importing them under the SX label.

hehehe... OK, OK, j/k

3. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
  4. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    Early Metro

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don't think so. Sadowsky used to sell a Tokyo line of basses before the Metros. These might be a version of those basses.

6. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    Here's my Sadowsky Tokyo..

o6kaq8.

29mwtud.

2uzvu34.

The difference is pre-amp(cut/boost in treble and boost only in bass), bad ass II bridge and the 5'vers have a neck plate and the serial is in the plate. :)

7. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    That's a great looking bass!

8. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    my word.. that is a smokin bass..

the TYO ive been told are only for the Japanese market. an NYC version for the Japanese market...:meh:

9. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    Here is a Tokyo RA 4 of mine believe Roger licenced to have made in Tokyo in 2004 before the Metros but quality is like a NYC but they weigh more and the Pre is different and Single coils.

10. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    Not at those prices DC me thinks... or were the Tokyo more akin to NYC prices.. i thought Tokyo Sadowsky basses were the early Metro's..??

11. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Hum, me thinks ALL Sadowsky basses are high end! No matter where they are made!

12. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    From what I understand the Metros replaced the Tokyo line. TYOs, on the other hand, are to the Japanese what NYCs are to North Americans (again, if I understand correctly).

13. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Correct!

Tokyo line was the original "metro" line but with a different preamp and single coil pickups stock. Some had Badass bridges as well I believe.

These were discontinued and replaced with the Metro's we see today, which utilize the NYC preamp and humcancelling pickups stock.

NYC models are made here in the US in the Sadowsky Shop in Brooklyn.

TYO models are made in the Sadowsky shop in Japan and are not sold here in the US. The Japanese equivalent to the NYC basses.

14. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    so im confused..the TYO charge as much as an NYC, but there made in Japan by erm...not Roger Sadowsky and his team that is under his supervision.. They are high end Sadowsky but not made in the USA? where is this going?? surely the top end Sadowsky under Roger should be made in New York... Whats next Fender Japan charging the same as a USA Fender?

Admiral Akbar likes this.
  15. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    The TYOs are catering specifically to a Japanese market. Roger Sadowsky, from what I can tell, doesn't do any of the assembly in New York (he might do a final inspection, but most of the work is actually done by others). I don't see why the attention to detail at the Tokyo shop would be any less stringent than that at the NYC shop. In fact, if you want to go by "national reputation" I would trust Japanese quality control over U.S. quality control any day. ;)

16. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound Endorsing Artist: La Bella Strings
  17. Joospocks

Joospocks

Jul 1, 2010
  18. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound Endorsing Artist: La Bella Strings
    Those are pretty popular in Japan and half pickguard is one option offer from TYO line but frankly, not many people into that half pickguard look. :bag:

[​IMG]

19. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Sadowsky has been doing those pickguards since at least 1990. There was a time that Sadowsky wasn't making a J style bass with a pickguard and a control plate. The half-guard was designed for players who wanted a pickguard on their Sadowskys to duplicate the feel of a regular J bass design. Mostly, the point was to lessen the distance between the face of the bass and the bottom of the G string for slapping. This distance on a stock Sadowsky of that era was more than what you'd encounter on a 60's or 70's Fender J and was uncomfortable for some players.

Clear half-guards were placed on basses with fancy maple tops so you could see the figure in the wood. Solid color guards were made as well. Will Lee's old Letterman show workhorse with the 'burst quilt top, black hardware and maple neck had a clear half-guard that was modified a little to accomodate Will's neck pickup cover.

20. Joospocks

Joospocks

Jul 1, 2010
    Ah I see, cool. Thanks for the information 20db and Timothy! :)