1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

High End Loss in a Squier Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LGT, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Hi guys, my sound has been on the muddy side lately. I use a Squier Affinity Jazz modified with a series parallel switch and strung with DR hi-beams through a Sansamp RPM, Crown XLS100, and Bag End S15.

For a while, I thought it might was just old strings, but today at my band practice, I was suddenly getting a fantastically clanky sound. I proceeded to play for about ten minutes, enjoying the delicious clank, when spontaneously, it went back to the muddy sound I had been getting before. I've tried different cables and everything, but haven't gotten any difference.

I should also mention that a few months ago, the tone knob stopped working. I didn't really mind, because I tend to leave it open all the time, but I'm beginning to think that it's the culprit.

I just opened up my bass, buy don't see any loose connections or any thing. I'm thinking about trying my luck and just snipping one of the legs of the tone cap and seeing if that helps.

Here are some pics. Let me know if any closer shots would be helpful. :help:
    3526414B-6957-412A-AE6E-D05EE4B3B30C-1671-000003DB83DCF99B.
    40687B44-5169-4DE5-8169-2C10A91E3515-1671-000003DB5D2D491D.

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    I wonder if your tone control is shorting out on the control cavity and the shielding paint... I would remove the control knobs, get a small crescent wrench and loosen the pots and re-align them so their terminals are pointed towards the output jack, like the middle pot is now. Tighten the nuts down, re-install the knobs and see if that helps.

3. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Definitely sounds like the tone control is shorting out.

4. Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

It seems that two of the legs from the tone pot were touching, which is sure to be the problem. I'm not sure how I didn't see that before. :rollno: