1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

High end P-bass, maple neck.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fetfet, Sep 7, 2008.

1. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I've recently bought a thunderbird to send me off to high school, and I'd like an idea of my bass for college. Around that time i should have around 2k saved up. I'd like a relatively high end Precision bass, with a maple neck, and preferably passive. I've really got no idea what there is in the new territory, but I'm thinking a vintage Fender. I'd like to know what you guys think I should plan for.

Thanks to anyone who helps.

2. gahpg

gahpg

Jun 30, 2007
    Brookfield IL
    You could get yourself a 70's fender for that money. Just because it's vintage though, doesn't mean it's gonna be better than any of the new ones today. Fender had QC issues back then and they still do now. (I've been in a vintage guitar store and i've picked up two dif fender P basses from similar years...one felt like 12 pounds and the other 9! Very inconsistent). If you do decide to get a vintage fender, definitely look in the classifieds here because the stores are gonna charge you two or three times as much as the classifieds here would.

I'd recommend, if you want to spend most of that $2k, to look used and grab a used Lakland USA Bob Glaub (Or Duck Dunn if you like a jazz neck. The Glaub or Dunn will definitely give you a great vintage P tone and the quality is great.), a used Sadowsky P (a more modern, 'sadowsky' tone. Not vintage, but it's still a great tone.), or a used Mike Lull (spot on vintage from what I read). Any of those basses will be better than a Fender AM Std, and the customer service from any of those brands are nothing short of spectacular. You could also look into a used Fender Custom Shop as well, which are very nice.

If you want to spend about a grand, i'd recommend a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub, and spend the rest on a nice tube amp or something. Lakland is much more consistent with their basses and the fretwork is very well done; they do the fender bass better than Fender IMO. However, people also strongly praise the new Fender AM std's too, so don't rule those out either, but those are more of a "play before you buy" thing because it's possible to get a bad apple (Bad neck pocket, bad frets, weak pickup, etc). If it feels good to you, buy it.

3. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    new MIAs are great
    the H1 are also awesome, and IMO better, the necks feel just so perfect to me

4. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I owned a Lakland Joe Osborn for a week. It came to me with microphonic pickups, and pots that wouldn't turn off. On top of that, it also sounded bad. So no Laklands. But i've never tried a Fender american, or a vintage Fender, or a sadowsky.

5. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Would building my own parts bass bring about a more reasonable and cost effective solution to this problem, and would such a bass, if built correctly, rival an 08 fender, a skyline lakland, etc, etc?

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    You're talking what, 4 years down the road. A lot can happen in that time. The interests of both my sons changed greatly in that time. Not to mention what prices are going to do.

That being said, I'd plan for change but keep saving because you'll need that money for something. College or your first car comes to mind.

Good luck.

7. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I cant remeber, could a Nash be had for that, or are they more expensive? Ive always been really impressed with their "fenders".

8. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    So come back in 4 years and we'll see if what you want is still the same.

Seriously, I've been there - I started bass in seventh grade, now I'm a senior headed off to college next year. There is absolutely no way to predict what you're going to want by then, so why worry about it now? It's cool to daydream, sure, but there's no point in making up your mind now when your wants and needs are going to change so drastically over the next four years (and trust me, they will...ohh, will they ever).

Also, if you're working for that money, you'll more than likely earn a lot more then 2k during high school. More like 2k per summer if you're actually putting some time into work. Buy a car, start a nestegg (5 year CD's are where it's at), then worry about your gear.

Seriously though, worrying about future gear purchases that far off is like trying to throw a tennis ball across the ocean and hit a Frenchman square in the face. As fun and cool as it'd be, it just aint happening.

My advice to you as someone on the other end of highschool is this: spend as much time with friends as you can, never take a relationship too seriously (ie letting it come between you and ANYTHING else), and get together with some friends and play gigs wherever they'll let you. Enjoy freedom while you have it. Before you know it, you'll have car payments, house payments, a wife and family, insurance payments, medical bills, and a minivan.

To answer your question, the 08 Fenders are very nice :D