Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High-End Practice Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pstone_foo, Apr 14, 2002.

1. pstone_foo

pstone_foo

Apr 13, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Looking for a low/med volume, non-window-shattering practice set-up that comes as close as possible to the tone of an overdriven SVT. (I just got my tax refund, so I've got a few bucks to play with!!)

I've tried a used Ampeg B-15R, and the tube-driven tone was spectacular, but the 15" driver was way overpowering. Now I have a new Ampeg B-50R solid state combo with a 12" speaker, and the smaller driver sounds more focused (and doesn't rattle the ductwork in my basement), but I am missing the tube sound.

I'm thinking about trying an Aguilar DB359 and an Aquilar 12" cab as a practice rig. That way, I could add a second 12" cab and also have a very nice, medium sized gigging set-up (I think??)

Wha' da' ya' think??

Thanks!! :cool:

2. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    There are many good small combos out right now to consider using for practice. EBS has the Drome. Ashdown has a tubed combo. Eden has the new Time Traveler combo, SWR has the Baby Blue 2, EA has the iAMP combo, etc, etc. Each of those will be near or more than $1000 and each one has it's supporters and detractors. Choices abound, the hard part is finding one in your local to demo.

3. pstone_foo

pstone_foo

Apr 13, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Woody -

Thanks for your reply. All of the set-ups you listed are either all solid state, or just have one tube in the preamp (I think?). I am looking for something that has tube warmth and sounds like a slightly overdriven SVT with an 8X10 cab, but in a low volume practice set-up. This probably defies physics and can't be done?

I've tried most of the tube emulating boxes, (Sans Amp, etc.), but I am not happy with the quality of tone. I think I might be a "Tube Snob".

As far as cabs go, I think a 1X12 is the way to go, and I am leaning towards the Aguilar.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks Again -

Pete

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    • Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp
    • Power amp of your choice
    • Speaker cab(s) of your choice

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    or an swr interstellar overdrive preamp.

hook it up with humongo poweramp and big speaker cab for house shaking...

or plug a little 1x12 into it's speaker out and get 10 watts of authentic tube tone. (or just use the same rig as above for practice, you can choose how much overdrive you want regardless of volume)

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Eden WT400 (tube pre, mosfet power amp), or iAMP350 (all solid state) with whatever 1x12 you'd like. i like Bergantino with mine. for something more aggressive, try an Aguilar or Epifani. an EA iAMP350 combo would be killer tho. unfortunately, most of my friends think my current main rig is a puny "practice" rig. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

7. oh, those guy's

I'm getting the 350 combo, can't wait and it'll be my main rig, i'm gonna add a 1x12 eventually though, but for now it's all i want

8. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    (2) among a few ideas rigs that I like:

Ashdown ABM combos- 10 or 12, way nice.
    SWR has a new 1x10 Baby Blue w/ the same pre-amp etc. as the "giant" model.

You don't want much though-
    Just the sound of an over-driven SVT in a combo!
    :D ;)

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If you really want to go all out you could get an SVT head and run it through one of those power brake thingys into a speaker.

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Get a Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine. These are no longer made, but go for about $125 used. This is a ONE WATT guitar amp head with two controls, gain and master volume. Connect to any good 8 ohm bass cab.

For more dough, the SWR Interstellar Overdrive is a similar unit, about 5 watts and way more bucks ($400 or so used).

Another alternative is find an off brand (thus CHEAP) tube guitar amp of around 5 watts, disconnect the internal speaker and hook up to a bass cabinet. I have an old Silvertone guitar amp that I have done this with.