Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High end Spector - Yes/No ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WarPig, Jul 3, 2005.

1. I want to buy a Spector NS 5 string, but I'm stumped and looking for some opinions & input....... :confused:

I'm not looking for a bargain, I'm looking for a dream-bass, I know some of them go for 5 grand, and more.

Where I'm getting hung up is on these Czech models. Are they total crap? They boast neck-thru, same pickups, Aguilar preamps.........so are they just knock off look alikes. No point in spending 2 grand on a piece of shiny junk..... :spit:

I'm not so hung up on the look, but MAN!!! could I go for one of those water-cured dark wood 5XLs. I found a '98 going for 2K......does this sound like a deal? I want one for its sound and feel.......

So......what's your opinion? Do the Czech models sound and play as good as the US-neck-thru's? Is the US model price tag "just because Stewart made it" prestige? :cool:

Cant wait to hear..........david

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    IMO. The playability is better and the sound is just as good, YMMV though.

I played some of the cheapest Korean ones as well, and thought they were easier to play than the US and Europe ones.

Go try em out and see what you think.

3. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    As an owner of a nice EURO5 i think you should go and check them out you are going to be surprissed,plus is $2000.00 less. :bassist:

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Oh and BTW. I couldn't tell much difference between Euro and US..

5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I'm a Spector snob, I don't like the korean, the rebops or any of the other cheaper models that would come with EMG-HZ pickups. To me those aren't what Spector was when guys made them popular. Sorry that's just how I feel.

However, the Czech made NS4/NS5's are the same bass in everyway compared to what was being made back in the day. Same woods, demsions, specs, all hardware, pickups and so on. You strap up a 2005 NS4 CRFM, and it feels, weighs, and sounds the same as strapping up a 1985 NS2.

Since Spector came out with the Czechs, he had to do something different with the US models, so they do have nicer looking woods, and a bit different preamps.

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Ive had them all. The Chechs are very good. Probably cant tell the diff. The USA's are just so pretty. Lots of attention to detail. Really should play before buying

Rob

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'll second the prevailing sentiment. Every Czech spector I've played was just as nice as any USA one. THe NY made Spectors are more boutique loaded: nice tops, exptic woods, etc. But sheer quality and playability is the same for both (and in my books its about as nice as you can get, I love Spectors).

8. Played Euros, played USAs, the USAs are prettier, bought a Euro - end of story.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The Euro line sort of makes the USA line redundant. The quality is higher, the woods flamier, but not another $2,000 nicer.

If you get a Euro, and Spector is your bag (the neck, the string spacing, the sound; isn't for everyone), you've got a bass that'll last a lifetime. Not a soundman or engineer out there that'd tell you to go home.