1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

High frequency shelving of graphic eq pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kamm, Oct 28, 2018.

1. kamm

kamm

Jan 11, 2015
    Elburn, IL
    Is it a given that the high frequencies of graphic eq pedals are shelved? I’m pretty sure that the Boss GEB-7 is (based on the graphics), as well as the newest MXR 6-band (m109s, based on the specs listed on the mxr site).

Other pedals I’m not so sure about. For example, the older mxr 6-band specs omit shelving from the same place that the new ones mention it, and the GEB-7 graphics indicate it does not shelve the low-end.

I’m mostly interested in finding out about the older Boss bass eq (GE-7b) and the Ibanez BE10. (I’m hoping these do shelve)

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's traditional and common, but not necessarily always the case. IDK whether the specific ones you mentioned are that way.

3. kamm

kamm

Jan 11, 2015
    Elburn, IL
    Thanks for the response. I had wanted to save some space and voltage, but ended up just grabbing an mxr 10-band so I can (hopefully) notch out the specific frequency that’s bugging me.

4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

You’d be better off with a parametric EQ if the situation calls for surgical precision when you’re notching out a specific frequency. Graphic EQs can be a little hit or miss depending on the frequency in question. Broughton Audio and Empress both make really good parametric EQs at affordable prices.

Al Kraft likes this.