Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

high fret fixes?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by furiously funky, Aug 1, 2004.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    ive was thinking of posting this in setup but hey its about the instrument. if you feel like moving it, please do.
    my question is this. the 11 fret on a guitar i own (epiphone hollow body bought in 01) wont stay down. ive tried the whole tapping the fret back in, and it stays for about 10 min then goes back to buzzing and sticking up. anything i could try or will this require a re fret ?
    thanks for the help
    -marty

2. Maybe a luthier could install that fret properly. Glue might be in order for this operation.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved to Luthier's Corner...

4. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    there are many many things on the web on explanations of leveling frets on the web. But really it takes learning, feel, and experience to of course do it right. Lots of times when luthiers experience this "fret popping back up", they over- radius it or bend it a little more than normal, use glue and tap it back in. If it don't stay in, your slot could be a little wide and isn't holding the fret tangs to keep the fret down. Maybe someone else can explain this better than me.

5. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    thanks for the help so far and for putting this in its place :D
    -marty

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If the fret is popping up, then it needs to be either replaced or glued down. If this sounds intimidating then you should consider paying someone to do it. Otherwise, a bit of superglue should hold it down. It will likely still need a level once it's down.

7. hello... I don´t mean to hijack this thread, but since we`re talking frets...

I have a slightly high fret on my Spector NS2000/5, it`s the first one and it´s high around the E string which causes some buzz when I play low F.

Can anybody tell me what I can do to fix it? Is is too complicated or is it just a minor thing?

tanks and sorry for steering the thread a little off topic.. :rolleyes:

8. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Leveling frets is not complicated but may or may not be a job better left to a professional. It will depend on how confident you are that your diagnosis is correct and that you can get the job done. You basically need to file or sand the high fret down to the height of the surrounding frets, and then put a new crown on it. The crown is a rounded top. Then smooth and polish the fret.

9. Pull them out. Everybody knows there's no money above the 9th fret anyway... :smug:

Seriously tho, yeah, superglue it down utilizing a caul to press the fret at the proper f.b. radius...

OR, Stew Mac sells a tool to crimp the fret tang so it will lock in a wider slot...but that's more of a repairman tool than a one time fixxer (a tad costly)

If superglue won't work, a trip to Mr fix is in order.

10. yikes!!!

I think I`ll let a pro handle that

tanks!!! :eek: