Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High fret troubles

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Oct 5, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    while trying to learn the solo to orion, I realized i am not very good atp playing up on the high frets (16-21) on my G&L tribute L2000. I was wondering what are some good ways to develop speed and fluency on the upper frets?

Also, while im at it, what is a good way to go about learning that solo?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Practice. And practice.

Seriously, the only way to get good at the upper frets is to spend time up there playing. As far as that part in Orion, I don't know it, but it has always helped me to learn parts that are hard painfully slow, then gradually build up speed as you get it down at the slower tempos.

3. How low do you strap your bass?

If it is down near your knees it may be in a difficult position to play that high on the fretboard.

Do you find it easier playing when sitting down?

IF NOT:

see advise above.

4. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    i was afraid of that, i guess ill just add high frets to the ever-expanding list of things to practice

chromatic exercises any good? i know playing 21 on the E wont be to useful most of the time, thats why i ask

5. Yea, i agree with the slowing down part... you have to get the intricacies of the hammer-ons and pull offs right to make it sound more fluent... other than that theres no hard part to that solo.... and i also agree that you can't have your bass too low.. i always find having my bass really low will give me cramps when playing on the higher frets (eg orion solo)