Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

high frets

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    doing a set up on my essex j bass and found that i have a couple of high frets. 12 and 15 respectfully. is this something i can handle myself or is this look like a job for...."REPAIR MAN"

2. This is one of those "if you have to ask..." situations. You should probably let a pro handle it.

3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    HAMBONE HEEEELLLLPPPP

4. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    if you need to ask then you need to probably bring it to a pro,which on one hand stinks because they will probably rake you over the coals w/labor charges all the while the bass is only a 150.00 inst.its a tough situation .Are you sure its high fretts ? its definately not a neck issue ?sometimes an improperly adjusted neck will false symptoms of other problems(IMO)GOOD LUCK:D

5. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
  6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Well this is one time that listening to a "pro" can really screw up your day, not to mention your bass.

With no prior experience or education in fret dressing, the odds are definitely not in favor of the average DIYer.

Just a smidge too much off the offending fret(s) and all the frets will have to be filed to compensate.

That same pro states that the crowning can be done with a flat file. What he doesn't mention is that the average person is going to chew up the FB trying to create the crown with a flat file.

Take the advice that you have been given here or take the advice that the pro offers. It's no skin off my nose either way but I would really be interested in the outcome.

I know which way I would bet, though.

Pkr2

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
  8. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    ok ... hambone HEEEEEELLLLLPPPPPP

9. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    They may just need to be gently tapped down with a rubber mallet. Usually high frets don't need to be filed.