Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High Ground by the Chili Peppers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by modernday, Apr 26, 2003.

1. modernday

modernday

Oct 20, 2002
    St. Paul
    Does anybody have any words of wisdom on this song? When flea goes to play the triplets from 3-5 and 5-7 it sounds like he keeps his fingers on the psrevious frets to let it ring. Anybody else hear this or know of a good way to do this?

2. Blunk

Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    Higher ground is mostly just octave shapes, its probably one of the easier flea slap bass lines.

After the E, just fret the G on the 3rd fret (E String) and the 5th fret (A String), and just move on up from there.

hope that's some help.

3. modernday

modernday

Oct 20, 2002
    St. Paul
    Ehh... I was kinda looking for help on the counting and stuff. And any finger techniques flea uses

4. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    -----------------------------------
    --------2----------5--------7------
    ------------------------------------
    0---0----0-3-3-----5-5------------

congrats, my first ever tab... :bassist:

of course, the chorus is different and the progression itself will change, but that should take care of your question.

5. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    do this:
    g --------------
    d -----x-----x--
    a --------------
    e -x-x---x-x----

slap on e string and pop on d.

start really slow. after 20 - 30 hours it will be easy.

if you really can`t get the correct timing, download guitar pro, it will allow you to play a midi interpretation of that song at 1/4 it`s speed etc.

6. modernday

modernday

Oct 20, 2002
    St. Paul
    Ummm... nevermind... Nobody seems to be answering my real question. But thanks anyways.

7. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Perhaps you could clarify your question. If it's what I think you're attempting to say, then I'm going to respond with: "No, I don't."

It's a simple slap/pop line. There really isn't any special technique used. Sorry... Don't believe me? Find a video of him playing the song somewhere. If I had a video camera, I'd happily work through the song for you in the style of an instructional video.

Also, I truly hope you weren't being sarcastic about your "thanks anyway." We're all trying to help you. It's not like we're blowing you off. If we're not answering your "real question," than you ought to make an effort to clarify. Too many people post here for someone to have interpreted your question much differently than we have. When others look at the thread, they're not going to make redundant posts. Everyone obviously thinks we've answered your question.

Now, if you still want help with something, post again and we'll once again try our best to help you...

8. modernday

modernday

Oct 20, 2002
    St. Paul
    Jesus settle down man. No, it's just hard to seperate the kick from the slaps on the verse, and I know he throws in variations.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

First of all, welcome to talkbass. I'm sure you've read the "don't be a newbie ass" rule. :rolleyes:

Now about your question. Have you heard of slap bass? Because you are refering to his finger technqiue. Do a little research on slap bass, you'll find it easier to understand the song itself (which isn't that hard at all)

Then again people tend to forget that there is more than that octave slap. There is the chorus and outro. I'm sure there are plenty of tabs out there for this. After all, this is THE "hey look how awesome I am" song at guitar centers around the world.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Also to let the notes ring out as you put it, hold the octave chord shape. Instead of fretting individual notes, keep your hands in these postions

|------------|
    |-2---5---7--|
    |------------|
    |-0---3---5--|

When going through this, the bass notes (0 3 5) should remain fretted (or let ring out in the case of the open note). Good luck, and please be a little bit nicer to people who are trying to help you out. Then people are more willing to help you out. Crazy isn't it?

11. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Yup... Crazy... ;)

12. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I think the simple answer is: Yes, he does let the low E, G, & A ring when he pops the octaves.

The second part of your question: As someone already said, hold the octave position with both notes pressed down simultaneously so the bottom one can ring when you pop the top one.

13. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    g-------------------0----------2-------
    d---------2-----------------------------
    a-----------------------0--0-------------
    e--0--0-------3-3-----------------------

I think this is the way flea actually plays it, although both ways are right, its all the same notes.

But playing it this way might be easier to let the notes ring out more. But it also might sound more sloppy.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    bentem - this would just be a matter of artistic decision, if you want that g to ring out... it's up to you, whatever floats your boat.

15. Darth_Linux

Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    I like this fingering the best:

g-------------------0----------2-------
    d---------2----------------------------
    a--------------------------------------
    e--0--0-------3-3-------5--5----------

you can easily play the whole thing without moving up the neck and it's slightly easier to let the notes ring out. I know that's not quite the answer to the original questions, but wanted to share this fingering.