1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

high impedance preamp pedals -- Radial? Behringer? BBE?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JES, Mar 17, 2013.

1. JES

JES Supporting Member

For those of you using piezo pickups with no internal preamp, what are you using for a preamp pedal? I"m looking at these 3 but am not totally sold on any of them.

I love the features of the Radial PZ-Pre but it looks like more than I need, plus I hate that it won't run on batteries.

I'm looking for something with a 1Mohm input or higher. That, a little boost and a notch filter for feedback is really all I need. But who can argue with a serviceable EQ? I can skip amp modelling or other "enhancements"

Bonus if you play an ABG. This is for a Martin BC-15e (but an older model without the EQ on the side of the instrument).

Thanks.

--JES

2. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    I'm really happy with my Sansamp BDDI. I already had it when I got my EUB and it boosts the signal great and thickens it up. Plus it's 9v battery ready and a DI.

3. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I've been using the fDeck Series3 lately with upright...sounds pretty great. Borrowed a buddy's Radial PZ pre for a couple gigs and despite all it's features, I got a better sound from the fDeck and it's battery powered. It only has the HPF and a phase reverse, but I'm finding it works really well. I also have and recommend the DTAR Solstice and the ART Pro Channel2, but neither are battery powered

4. JES

JES Supporting Member

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies. I'm pleased to say this thread saved me some money, at least for now. I have an old Sansamp BBDI which I rarely use, and I didn't realize it had a 1Mohm input (since I bought it a long time ago and input impedance wasn't on my mind at the time). I plugged in my Martin, and there we have it. I'll mess around with the EQ later, but I will try this on a gig and see how it works before spending more money on a swiss-army-knife pre.

Thanks again!