Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High/Low Inputs on my amp: What for?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cambass, Jul 20, 2001.

1. I own an Ashton 40watt combo amp and it has two inputs, one marked 'high' and one 'low'. I was just wondering the exact reason for this. I read that if you have active electronics in your bass that you use the low input. I usually use the high input because it's louder. Is this correct?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I understand it to be for active and passice basses. I run my Stingray through the passive input cos it sounds 'better'. Just run your bass through the input it sounds best with (without getting distortion). I will try to answer you presence/shape question. see you there.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    This is from the Demeter web site:

The precise meaning of HI and LOW on sockets has always been a matter of inconsistency between manufacturers: some mean level, in which case the LOW socket plays louder; some mean gain, in which case the HI socket plays louder!

4. That's my understanding, too.

The low input usually has something like a resistive pad to reduce the input signal. It's used for connecting a higher output bass. That might be an active bass, of course, but could equally be a passive instrument with high output pups.

Connecting to the high input, therefore, will be louder.

John