1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

High mA requirements for power suppy?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by osd, Oct 30, 2010.

1. osd

osd

Oct 11, 2010
    Sacramento
    The GAS started with the EHX Bass Big Muff, spread to the Mole, now the Micro POG, and who knows what else by next week. ;)

I want to start getting these pedals on a pedalboard, but I'm having trouble finding a power supply that looks rated for these pedals in terms of milliamps. Looks like these EHX pedals are 200mA apiece, and the Dunlop brick is 375mA total for the 9volt ports.

Can anyone steer me towards a pedalboard power supply that could handle five or six of these EHX pedals @ 200mA apiece?

2. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    No way that the BBM takes 200 mA... probably less than 20 mA. A 200 mA adapter may cover all of them just fine.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Generally speaking, an analog OD/dist/fuzz/boost will use only a few mA, like under 20, sometimes under 10. A digital processor like the POG may actually need 200 mA or more.

The main thing I'd warn you of is that many EHX pedals don't like to share a common ground, like in the Dunlop Brick or the popular daisy-chain supplies; so you need to use an isolated supply, like the Voodoo PPII+ or BBE SupaCharger or one of T-Rex's isolated units. Note that not all EHX pedals have this issue, but enough do that it's worth paying attention to.

4. osd

osd

Oct 11, 2010
    Sacramento
    Cool thanks. Is the PPII+ the supply du jour? I'm wanting to shoehorn this thing under a pedaltrain jr. Would the t-rex jr. be up to snuff?

5. osd

osd

Oct 11, 2010
    Sacramento
    Oops, looks like the T-Rex Jr. tops out at 120mA..

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, you can email EHX and ask them what the minimum mA requirement is for the POG. Maybe 120 is enough!

7. osd

osd

Oct 11, 2010
    Sacramento
    EHX seems weird about pushing their 200mA power supplies, with warnings on their site. I might email them and see if I can get a straighter answer about it.

I decided to go with the Voodoo PPII+ since it has 2 250mA outputs, so I'm covered down the road when some new high current pedal comes out that has me GASsing. Plus if I understand correctly, this supply mounts well in the pedaltrain units.

Thanks for the help, TB is such an awesome place!

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    a micro-pog works just fine on the high-power outs of a PP2+ (#5 or 6). i actually measured the current draw in-line to be around 160-170mA, well below the rated 250mA for those two outs.

(the big muff doesn't draw squat, just like any other distortion, boost or EQ pedal.)

9. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    one-spot works fine for my pedals. I have a POG2 on there, which came with it's "special power supply..." It was a normal boss-style powre supply, but maybe a little higher mA- 9V, 200mA.

Onespot is 1.7A, 9V. I haven't had any problems with an average of 7 pedals on there.