1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

High Mass bridge for 5'ver?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by johnnyneptune, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Hey guys.

I'm on the lookout for a high mass bass bridge for my Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass V. I recently bought the Fender High Mass Bass Bridge and found that the G string falls in an unusuable spot on the fretboard. So I can't use it. Going back to the stock bridge for now but can anyone reccomend any high mass 5 string bass bridges? Preferably with the 4 hole mounting format? I would've gone for the typical BadAss bridge but I'm not willing to drill holes into the body. I do like the badass style bridges though.

Also: I've attached a few photos for reference.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  2. Whats the string spacing on the stock bridge and whats the spacing on the new one?

Zooberwerx likes this.
  3. Anywhere from 18-22mm string spacing on the stock one. It has the "HMV" bridge attached so there's variable string spacing due to the slotted saddles. Part number: 007-5128-000

The new one is Fender's take on the BadAss Bridge. According to guitarpartsresources.com it has 3" string spacing. Part number: 099-4409-000

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  4. That's my plan B. ;)

5. Anyone?

6. I can't tell from the pics but: with the stock bridge and the strings at their widest point, do they fit on the fretboard? It seems that the bass needs an 18mm spaced bridge?

7. I'll check when I get home but after looking at the bridge earlier I think only the B through D. The G at its widest falls off the board. I don't know why the grooves are there if it's unusable at its widest point.

8. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Maybe the neck just needs to be shifted toward the bass side.

Geri O likes this.
  9. Okay, just got home and took some pictures. Here's what the G string looks like on the furthest slot on the saddle.

It seems like the furthest slot on the stock bridge G saddle is comparable to the pre-notched slot of the G saddle on the new bridge. Also, the B gets a little closer to the edge but not as much as the G.

Attached Files:

10. give kathy's suggestion a try and center up the neck. see if that helps.