1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

High Mass Bridge VS String thru body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Oct 13, 2006.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Which of these choices gives more sustain?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I vote high mass.

By isolating the string more completely, the string retains its energy in motion, thus more sustain.

3. high mass,i heard that string through adds no sustain whatsoever

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I am going to agree that high mass is the way to go for sustain.

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    So is the string thru just a marketing gimmick?

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

No, certainly not. I think string though allows for more attack and clarity, as the string angle at the bridge is much greater when strung through the body. What good is sustain really anyways? When you think about it, how often do you let notes ring out for an extended period of time in a song? Even with the basic low mass design of the standard fender bridge, you should have enough sustain to handle almost anything. If anything, I would think high mass bridges could be considered "just a marketing gimmick"...

7. Why not just pick up a BAIII and have both? :smug:

8. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    My experience was :

string-thru = more attack
    high mass = more sustain

9. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    +1

I put a BAIII on my Am JBass and string it thou and it sounds great. Lots of sustain, attack, and clarity.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i do! ballads are precarious creatures. ;)

still, all the more i love my sadowsky which has sustain for days! which leads me to believe that its more than just the bridge, cause the sad bridge doesnt look like a massive behemoth, rather a sum total of parts that contribute to the sustain and attack.

11. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I put a Wilkinson replacement bridge on my crapular Fernendes P-bass and the sustain is ridiculous now. It didn't do much for clarity, but the brass saddles on the bridge must be the key.

12. steve21

steve21 Inactive

Dude, high mass string thru FTW.

13. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Bought a Fender MIM J, installed a BAII and noticed a difference in attack, realized it isn't "better", installed a '75 RI bridge. Now it sounds right.

14. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    High mass.. simply becouse i think the standard fender bridge looks "wimpy" Go highmass Stringthrough, and youll get it all.

15. Crazykiwi

Crazykiwi

Sep 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    What's more important is that the whole bass is designed to be rigid as a structure, in order to get sustain. A heavy bridge on a less rigid bass, (for example one made from predominantly soft, light woods) will give more sustain than a light bridge on the same instrument. Because at least some isolation from the dampening by the soft wood/design will occur thanks to the mass of the bridge.

However if the bass is made from solid and stiff wood, is structurally rigid then the bridge type will have considerably less influence.

I own stingrays with both through body and top mounted bridges and I'd challenge anyone to isolate the tonal characteristics that relate specifically to the type of string anchoring used.

16. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification
    +1. I've always thought the same thing. The only time sustain Might be an issue for me is on fretless.

17. lordcorn

lordcorn

May 12, 2008
    just use both!

18. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    ATK= massive bridge + string through option. sustains forever.

not that i actually have a use for a note that lasts 30-40 seconds...