Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High mass bridge with thin base capable of low action???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Dec 23, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Currently I have a BadAss II and a stock Fender bridge. I like the sustain the BA II gives me, but I prefer the action of the Fender bridge. When both bridges are completely lowered, the string height of the BA II seems to be about 2mm or so higher. Therefore, one can achieve lower action with the Fender bridge.

My question is:

Is there a high mass bridge which is capable of acquiring the low action the Fender bridge can get?

2. You can just shim the neck on the fender to raise the neck that 1-2mm needed. Easy Peasy

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  4. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    you could countersink your bridge.

5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Yup.

6. Just out of curiosity, have the saddles on the BAII been notched? I had a similar problem a few years back with my MIM Jazz. The saddles were only slightly notched, so I found all the Leo Quan info I could get and decided I needed to cut the notches deeper.
    I used a small round file for this. I also angled the notches toward the string stops (ball holes) This reduced the break angle, but allowed the string to settle deeper into the notch at the front of the saddle for a more accurate "speaking point" as Leo Quan calls it.
    This allowed for proper adjustments without having to shim the neck.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    yeah, the saddles have been notched. shimming is an option, but really I was hoping to find a way to avoid it. I find my action with the fender bridge is pretty bloody good right now. In fact, the best i have ever had it. lower action is more important than huge sustain for me.

countersinking seems like not something i would want to do.

I am just a little surprised that with all the bass "stuff" out there, there isnt a high mass bridge which allows for low action.

8. The suggestion of ABM was what you asked for...

You might also try taking 1-2mm off the bottoms of the saddles of the BA. That would be under the "shoulder" and the center of the saddle. You can do this with a file. The saddles are chrome plated brass so you can file them easily. The alteration is invisible and you don't even have to be supremely accurate with how much you remove because you are just looking for more adjustment - not limited to a certain amount.

9. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

Gotta ask, why would this be a problem?
    For an experenced tech, this is a 2 min job.
    Loosen strings, loosen neck screws, insert small shim (4 to 6mm wide slice of the short side of a business card or something the same) tighten neck screws, retune.
    The only thing you MAY noctice, and I dought you will, is a small difference in the space between the body and the strings at the neck if/when you do any of the bippity slappity stuff.
    The difference of lower the strings to a good height for your playing style after the BAII is on should take care of this though.