Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High or deep 5?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Dec 21, 2000.

1. I really want to know. My year long fretless five string project is nearing completion, and I now have to make a decision. Do I want it strung high or low?

Sometimes I think one thing, sometimes another. It's a 35" neck, and I designed it with a low setup in mind. But now I am not sure. I play a LOT (i.e., considerably more than the 'almost never' that I used to) above the 12th fret on my P bass, and this 5 string will be jazzy in nature, which I think might encourage....

Hmmm.

I would deeply appreciate your views and any anecdotes you have on this issue. 6+ string is an obvious solution, but it out of the question for financial reasons. As is 2 five strings....

Andy

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    To me it seems like a High 5 would work for u since unless if you really really need that low b the high c would give you more range in a smaller shifting range. thats all

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well it's obviously up to you, but I have found that over the last 3-4 years of playing 5s and 6s , that the low B has been much more useful than the High C and nowadays I am happy with just a low 5.

One thing that you might consider is that I now buy all my string sets off the internet as they are a lot cheaper that way. Now, you see a lot of 5-string sets B to G, but I can't remember seeing a 5-set, E to C . 6 string sets are more expensive and if you do string high you might be looking at paying for a custom set or a 6 string and wasting the B.

4. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    I had a 5 strung with a high C for a while, but I rarely used the C. I think I was using like a .027 and it just didn't have the tone of the G up high. I really only used it for chording or playing 2 part things (classical guitar stuff). You can use a high C, but it won't sound like the G above the 12th fret.

5. I have played the high"C" tuning a lot over the years if your intrest is more on solo and chord playing this is a great way to go. Since I traded my six for a seven string my fives are going back to the low "B" tuning. Strings are not a problem just buy a four string set, and order the "C" from your local store they are only a few dollars.

6. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I would go for the low B. I tried a -string for a long time, and the C sounded really wimpy. For chording and soloing it might be good, but I just didn't like the tone. I use the B string a lot, but not for the lowest notes. I like to play higher on the neck on the B (in the key of E or G, for instance), and get that super-fat tone.

7. Hey, Andy, how ya doing? Did'nt know you were building a 5. It comes down to whether you want to solo. If so, go for the C, if you're a groover, go for the B. I do both, so I'm stuck with a 6. U. Y.. H...!

8. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Sounds to like the high C would be more useful to you. If you're playing Jazz more than anything and use open strings the high C will get more use than the low B. You should be able to try both setups, string it up with a high C and play it for about a month, then string it up with the low B and play it for about a month. You should after this be able to make a determination, though since you mention you often play above the 12th fret, the high C sounds like it's more in tune with your style.

I personally prefer the high C setup.

Phil

9. Thank you all for your input. I am still thinking...and thinking. And thinking.

Andy