High or deep 5?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Dec 21, 2000.

1. I really want to know. My year long fretless five string project is nearing completion, and I now have to make a decision. Do I want it strung high or low?

Sometimes I think one thing, sometimes another. It's a 35" neck, and I designed it with a low setup in mind. But now I am not sure. I play a LOT (i.e., considerably more than the 'almost never' that I used to) above the 12th fret on my P bass, and this 5 string will be jazzy in nature, which I think might encourage....

I would deeply appreciate your views and any anecdotes you have on this issue. 6+ string is an obvious solution, but it out of the question for financial reasons. As is 2 five strings....

2. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    To me it seems like a High 5 would work for u since unless if you really really need that low b the high c would give you more range in a smaller shifting range. thats all
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well it's obviously up to you, but I have found that over the last 3-4 years of playing 5s and 6s , that the low B has been much more useful than the High C and nowadays I am happy with just a low 5.

One thing that you might consider is that I now buy all my string sets off the internet as they are a lot cheaper that way. Now, you see a lot of 5-string sets B to G, but I can't remember seeing a 5-set, E to C . 6 string sets are more expensive and if you do string high you might be looking at paying for a custom set or a 6 string and wasting the B.
  4. Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    I had a 5 strung with a high C for a while, but I rarely used the C. I think I was using like a .027 and it just didn't have the tone of the G up high. I really only used it for chording or playing 2 part things (classical guitar stuff). You can use a high C, but it won't sound like the G above the 12th fret.
  5. I have played the high"C" tuning a lot over the years if your intrest is more on solo and chord playing this is a great way to go. Since I traded my six for a seven string my fives are going back to the low "B" tuning. Strings are not a problem just buy a four string set, and order the "C" from your local store they are only a few dollars.
  6. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I would go for the low B. I tried a -string for a long time, and the C sounded really wimpy. For chording and soloing it might be good, but I just didn't like the tone. I use the B string a lot, but not for the lowest notes. I like to play higher on the neck on the B (in the key of E or G, for instance), and get that super-fat tone.
  7. Hey, Andy, how ya doing? Did'nt know you were building a 5. It comes down to whether you want to solo. If so, go for the C, if you're a groover, go for the B. I do both, so I'm stuck with a 6. U. Y.. H...!
  8. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Sounds to like the high C would be more useful to you. If you're playing Jazz more than anything and use open strings the high C will get more use than the low B. You should be able to try both setups, string it up with a high C and play it for about a month, then string it up with the low B and play it for about a month. You should after this be able to make a determination, though since you mention you often play above the 12th fret, the high C sounds like it's more in tune with your style.

I personally prefer the high C setup.

9. Thank you all for your input. I am still thinking...and thinking. And thinking.