high or low mass bridge best for B string clarity?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Jun 2, 2001.

1. my findings (but on 4string basses) are that a high mass bridge gives more clarity of the natural string overtones, whilst low mass gives more resonant snap from the body.

judging from Fender 5's, high mass seems to be better, seeing that the Roscoe Beck5 is reputed to have the best B string, and has a high mass Gotoh bridge, as opposed to the USJazz Deluxe and Precision Deluxe 5's which have thin pressed metal bridges (all similarly strung through the body).

but the Stingray 5 and Pedulla Rapture 5's have highly rated B strings, and have thin pressed metal bridges..
    what's the verdict on 5 string bridges, and has anyone improved the B string on their bass by changing bridges?
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    For clarity, definitely high mass. I think you know that yourself...if it works on the all the other strings, why wouldn't it for the B?

However, in your examples, you have to take construction into account. The RB5 and Stingray are built much more solidly than the Jazz 5, and the Pedulla is in a totally different class. Not to mention different headstock designs (there's something to be said for tuners that are farther away from the nut), etc.

It's more a total package thing, but the bridge certainly helps. My old trashy Ibanez sounded 1000x better with the Badass bridge on it, and I hate the Badass!

I've been considering throwing an ABM on my Modulus, but I haven't yet. I like high mass bridges.
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    in all my encounters - high mass always makes notes clearer.

with one exception - stop tail pieces ala warwick. every bass/guitar i've played with a stop tail bridge has awesome clarity and sustain. maybe it's because the string is vibrating two seperate masses?