High pitched "clacky" sound in my Aguilar cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dr. Gonzo, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Dr. Gonzo

Dr. Gonzo

Sep 1, 2004
    I just got an Aguilar 1x12 cab and I get this high pitched "clacky" plastic clicking sound when I turn up the tweeter. It's very annoying and definitely doesn't sound musical. Does this mean the tweeter's shot? What is going on here?

Thanks for any answers,

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    That's what tweeters sound like. I have no idea why people want them. I turn mine off.
  3. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Tweeters are for Tweakers.
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    No sense throwing the baby out with the bath water. If you don't like the sound of the tweets, you can just turn the dial off. If you want a little extra snap, dial a bit back in.

Be careful, as the Aggie tweets are VERY sensitive, and a little on the knob goes a long way. I've NEVER gone past 10-o'clock with mine and it was super bright. Sounds to me like you turned yours up past that, and frankly it can create an unuseable sound if you do.
  6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Do you even play bass? Do you, like, know songs and have an amp and stuff? :eyebrow: :p
  7. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

" clacky " tweeter sound ??
    never heard a tweeter make a "clack" sound before .
    Aguilar makes high quality cabs , i doubt they would cheap out
    on a tweeter .

no offense intened , but finger noise could also be part of your
    problem . :meh: try playing with a lighter touch , let the amp
    do the work for you . turn the tweeter down a little and see if that
    helps ... :cool:
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

with the tweeter up too high, your strings literally snapping against the frets will cause that annoying clack. put the tweeter at the mid point, or turn it off altogether. better yet, raise the action on your bass to cut down the clack.
  9. hahaha....hahah...my girlfriend doesn't think that's funny.....hahah....haha but I shure do... ha ..hahah
  10. CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    i'm not positive but i think that aguilar cab uses a foster tweet(like a lot of cabs) they just sound like that when cranked up too high. i like to hear the frets when i'm slapping, but not when i'm playing fingerstyle. (or very little just when i dig in) i had a little bit of that problem myself, but instead of raising the action, i changed where i pluck from the p pickup to the j(as close to the bridge as possible). another option is to develop a lighter touch.

and turn that damn tweet down!!! (love tweets but too much of a good thing)
  11. I downgraded from a 4xx10 ampeg cabinet to a aguilar 1x12 w/ horn. i use an ampeg svt pro III I bought from GC about 4 years ago. I switched cuz I want something I can move easily.

so I started getting this sound as well, with tweeter about 1/4 up. it didn't happen until about a month into the purchase and it just recently became unbearable, so I knew it wasn't my playing, or I should say ONLY my playing. I did tweke around to try and isolate this and figure out what is causaing that sound u describe (like the sound of a lose washer on a bolt rasping around from virbation of sound) and yes, playin softer does lessen the high rasp noise that my horn makes from my aguilar problem, but it I knew it was the horn and it was a function of the volume level of my treble and mid and gain knobs on my SVT head. I could even get the rasp sound by playing as har on the fret on a low f# (uncommon fret so the fret is better then others) and raher soft with my finger hand. so I'm leaning towards it being more of a function of the my amp.

Sorry this is long but I figured I'd give the whole story cuz if people actually want to reply and offer advice to me, I gotta give em everything, but thx for reading, and I'm new here but from what I read, people can toss and turn opinions/stories/perspectives all over the place here......

so I took it in, took my ampeg head to get checked out by a tech (ended up getting two new tubes out the the 5 the ampeg uses...and took my cabinet to where I purchased it from. the cabinet guy said my horn was fine, I thought I'd blown it....and so I asked if I could bring my ampeg in (which was back from the tube tech, retubed) and show him what I'm hearing. it's a very high pitch sound and it comes easily when playing low notes and he heard it right away. I had my usualy settings on my ampeg tube gain at 80%, master at 80% and regular gain at 40%, and EQ set somewhat normal. so the amp is fairly loud and I start playing one note.

so he first picks the head off of the top of the cabinet (placed on top of the cabinet just like every head/cab combo right) to see if it's a fabrication problem, or some plastic rattling on my case that houses my head, but no it's still there, and then he plugs me into a different head, a GK r1001 II into my aguilar 1x12 and of course it the high rasp goes away, AND even worse, the sound is noticeably better, louder and fatter and warmer (or at least I noticed it better. so I concluded it's my amp, and a combination of my EQ setting, horn knowb and a tiny bit of the playin. I've fixed with with my ampeg, but my sound is really bottomy and soft, which I don't really like unless I wanna play galactic type or Beck type stuff....now, also I just realized that this cabinet guy was behind my amp the whole time and maybe could have turned my horn way down before he switched heads on me, that would be crule salesmanship, but that's what I discovered. I'm going back soon to test out GK 1001 rII vs ampeg svt in the shop and see if I really do notice a sound I like better and that this horn noise stuff goes away, and then I will sell my ampeg and get this GK to power my aguilar.

This was my find, and if actually want to reply my post specifically or whatever, that'd be cool to get some input on what I may do here, like input on being a good buyer, or comparison's u've done in stores, things to think about, cuz I think I am gonna get GK to replace my ampeg, and some background on the cabinet guy, who really appears a cool guy, it's a bass shop ONLY and this is the owner no less, so I trust this guy has plenty of knowledge. he does not carry ampeg, Guitar center does tho, which helps me even more want to switch (mass distribution "can" mean lower quality) from a company. sorry to possible turn this post into a new thread, but I would appreciate feedback.

I hope my story gives u some insight into what can happen or what u could do, take it into a shop and do a head comparison, then at least u'll know for sure it's ur head and not ur playin, or know lessen the ratio to favor ur playin, which is something u can fix, and not favor the amp...and watch carefully the horn setting and don't let anyone change it when switching heads. having something wrong with ur sound is like having a hang nail. thanks for reading and posting, this is a sensitve topic to me, if case u could not tell...ha ha ha, happy bass playin.

after rereading this, I figure I should give some specs.
    my ampeg svt proIII is 275 watts at 8 ohms
    my aguilar 1x12 is 300 watts at 8 ohms, so I am pushing this cabinet/horn.
    I've "heard that going with as much power as u can afford is always good, cuz u get a better sound, but I have not verified that yet. any comments? jeez I'm greedy huh? sorry again.

Last, Aguilar is coming out with a 1x12 w/out a horn. suspicous? ok, that's it, happy bass playin...
  12. hi Gonzo, what head are u ising? and what are the settings like? and last what bass/pickups do you play through when you got this horn noise. thanks. :confused:
  13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

Tweeters are evil. if i could turn it off on my TNT, i would.
  14. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Wrong. Aguilar cabs use a much higher and smoother tweeter made by P Audio. Puts Fosters to shame, IMO.
  15. assuming it is a really picky horn in the aguilar cab,...... that just seems wrong and not that praiseworthy of the quality assurance team at aguilar, I hope it's a fluke. :)

I'd really be interested to know if other aguilar cab owners get this. I really wish I could show people the sound, it's like putting ur keys on top of ur amp while playing....
  16. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    So you do play bass? I didn't think that you did. :rollno:
  17. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification
    You certainly have the right to keep writing posts full of innuendo if that's your style. However, if you really think there is something wrong with you cabinet, call me. I'll talk it through with you.
    The fact that the sound went away when you switched heads is kind of interesting, even if the "evil salesman" was behind the rig. Maybe he was behind the rig since he was plugging things in and out for you.
    The introduction of the GS 112NT (no tweeter) is because you really only need one tweeter if you have a pair of 12"'s. So, if you're buying two GS 112's, you can choose to save some money and get the second one without a tweeter. The fact that you think its introduction is "suspicious" is really....silly. As far as quality assurance....call me on our 800 number and play the sound for me over the phone. I'll be as helpful as I can.
  18. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yeah, if you have ANY questions about Aguilar gear, just CALL them. These guys are super-receptive to their customers, very helpful to me - I called on a couple of occassions, and you wouldn't believe how friendly and helpful they are. They aren't the type to just try to answer your question quickly and get you off the phone, they really make an effort to help you truly understand.

I personally don't think its fair to give them flack for having a super-powerful tweeter when it has a variable level control. You don't prefer how it sounds, then turn it down. You want some gentle enhancement of highs, then dial in just a little. You want super-bright slappy, then dial it in some more.

Some people just don't understand that it doesn't have to be "normal" to have to turn knobs up 3/4ths of the way to get tone. My Eden Nav pre's tone knobs are the same way. A slight tap in either direction creates a tremendous difference. That's the true power of quality as far as I'm concerned. It should sound good without tweaking, but sound GREAT with just a little. Aguilars tweeters are like that. It sounds good without, and great with a little . . . that tells me the cab is designed well from the start. It doesn't require the tweeter to be dialed in on "10" to compensate for anything.
  19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Foster tweeters can make a "cracking" noise if the amp clips. I have heard this in some cabs I own(ed), SWR, Peavey, Genz Benz.

SWR service confirmed this as "normal" behavior :confused:

I have never heard this in my cabs with P Audio tweeters (Epifani, Bergantino)
  20. well I did not intend my post to be flack, I reread and edited it about 3 times.

anyways, I always like to give credit where credit is due and the fact that someone from aguilar actually searches and reads and offers help on this board says alot of good about aguilar.