1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

High pitched noise on my D-String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quartuccio, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Quartuccio

Quartuccio

Aug 8, 2017
    Hello community,

I have a problem with my new bass, just over 1 week old. I played on it everyday and now i noticed a high-pitched noise when i play the open D string. You can listen to it here, it is acoustic, without an amp:
    Vocaroo | Voice message

It would be nice if someone could tell me what that is.

Thanks in advance :)

2. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Sounds like a natural harmonic. Is the string so low that it is touching a fret? Otherwise, I think your string might be messed up.

gebass6 and bholder like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    That is harsh. Not sure what it is, bad string, maybe? If heard something like it before, but memory fades....

4. Quartuccio

Quartuccio

Aug 8, 2017
    Hm no the string dosen't touch any fret. And from the store I was told that the strings were on the bass for maybe 3 months, but it wasn't played that often by customers, so it should be okay...

5. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    It sounds like a harmonic.
    Try plucking in different places along the string and see if it changes.

6. Quartuccio

Quartuccio

Aug 8, 2017
    I plucked all along the string and its always there, the intensity varies a bit but not in any kind of pattern...

7. Quartuccio

Quartuccio

Aug 8, 2017
    I got my hand on some strings through a friend and changed the D-String and the noise is gone, thanks for the answers though :)

gebass6 likes this.
  8. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nice! I had an issue similar to this with a recent instrument. A different set of strings made the sound better, but it didn't go away completely. What it turned out to be was that the slot on the bridge slot needed a touch up , as the string had the tiniest amount of wiggle room on the saddle slot and was creating a crazy buzzing harmonic.