1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

high pitched sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by izzyRider, Feb 28, 2013.

1. izzyRider

izzyRider

Feb 28, 2013
    hi, my bass amp (SWR) puts out a high pitched noise wich gets higher and lower as I turn the frequency knob. I opened it to see if something was burned or something. Nothing was.. When I put it back together the sound was gone but it still doesn't amplifies my bass. When I turn up the gain the sound of the bass turns up a bit but very faint until it changes to the high pitched noise again (also the preamp clip led switches on). Does anyone recognize this problem?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes. The problem is you need to take the amp to a qualified repair shop.

3. izzyRider

izzyRider

Feb 28, 2013
    Wow thanks for this insight.. Anyone else?

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Yes I have more insight on the issue:
    You see, if you open an electronic device and don't "see" a problem and can't figure out what is wrong, you are out of your area of expertise and need to find a pro. Either that or blaze up your soldering iron and have at it. Good luck.

5. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Those are the tell tale signs that you need to take it a qualified repair shop.

6. izzyRider

izzyRider

Feb 28, 2013
    It was never my intend to fix the problem myself. I just want to know what to expect money-wise. The most repairshops will take a look for 50 euro's. If the repair itself cost an additional 100 it is better to buy a new one. So if anyone had this problem and can inform me what it most likely is, I really would apreciate it.

7. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    There's really no way to say. Honestly it could be your entire power section blew out, or it could be a $5 op amp. Could even just be a loose connection that needs to be re-seated. But there's really no way to diagnose something so general without a tech opening it up and breaking out a multimeter.

8. izzyRider

izzyRider

Feb 28, 2013
    That's a shame. I thought the high pitching noise related to the frequency level would narrow it down. Thanks for so far..

9. I agree with Bongo - it's tech time. Sounds as if you opened it up and did "something" and now you have even more problems. Let a tech take a look and give you an estimate.

10. You could try an instrument cable, one end to the effects send other end to the effects return. If the amp works normally a tech needs to properly clean the effects return jack.

11. izzyRider

izzyRider

Feb 28, 2013
    Allright thanks for the tip, I'm gonna try it..

12. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    It's the singer.

13. WingKL

WingKL

May 12, 2007
    If you don't have a schematic and an oscilloscope and know how to use them, you should probably bring it in to the tech.

14. figuredbass

figuredbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2007
    NYC vicinity
    I totally agree with all who have recommended taking it to a qualified service center.

BUT - if I had to guess (which is the last thing you want to do when trying to diagnose a technical problem with your gear - let alone any medical symptoms...:rollno:) it sounds as though there is either a bad solder joint or failed component in the EQ section that is causing the circuit to go into a completely wild oscillation. The frequency knob has turned into an oscillator pitch control, though it's probably not the knob (potentiometer) itself that is the problem. While it is indeed a disturbing symptom that has made your amp unusable for the moment, it should not be a very expensive repair at all, assuming my guess is correct.

15. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

^ thanks for my first laugh of the day!