1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

High power 1u power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by carvinbassplyr, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Bad link.

2. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    The link looks OK except for the period at the end. alibaba has something interesting going on with external links...

Search for HA450 in the alibaba search field and you will get the right page.

=wr=

3. Fixed the link as well as added a new one...real nice power for 1u power amps and considerably less expensive than the american offerings at that power level (the only american one I found was around $2000)

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    18 inches deep @ 21 pounds, not my cuppa.

5. The KAM is only about 13" deep and 12 lbs.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Peavey used to have a DPX or DJX or maybe it was DPC 1U poweramp. 16" deep and expensive...like 1400 watts (maxed bridged).

If you've ever seen the inside of an IPR, it wouldn't take much reconfiguring, laying down the power supply caps and maybe 1 donut toroid on their sides to squeeze it into 1U. I still think they should. Lots of real estate in there. Could even mount the caps off to the side and run wires to the board if they don't lay down on top the board.

7. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    They had a DPC750, DPC1000, and DPC1400. I believe the number indicates the max power output, bridged. I have a DPC1000, great amp.

8. Markbass has had one on their site for ages, but I don't believe it has ever been release?

9. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Its probably laid out like that for cooling and low noise, no better substitute than space for isolating noisy things from things that need to be quiet.

10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  11. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    There is truth to that, but in the case of switching supplies and class D amps, there's also no better substitute for keeping things compact for the sake of low noise and optimal performance. Even if you don't care about noise, noise can be an indicator of components performing in such a way that will shorten their life over the long term. That type of noise can be caused by a wider layout. 1U form factor is not ideal because it forces a wide layout. 1U form factor is also terrible for good, even cooling air flow. It also can make the amp heavier than it needs to be. In my opinion, the only good reason to build a 1U amp is because you can. Peavey learned that lesson with the DPC's several years ago. I'll bet you could take any 1U power amp and improve it by making it taller.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I don't know about the wider vs. taller, I'll leave that to you engineers.:)

I do know that the IPR is almost more empty space than it is parts. Plenty of amps work just fine packed a lot tighter than that.

I'm not complaining about it, just think it may be a bit of a missed opportunity IF you could make it work reliably, etc. In something like a PA, imagine your poweramp rack not only being lightweight, but also almost 1/2 the physical size/packspace. People would pay for that value.

13. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    If you're talking about the chassis, yes, you're absolutely right.

If the IPR chassis was more shallow, but still 2U, it'd probably be a wash because a 1U would have to be deeper. You'd have to use arrays of capacitors and a shorter/wider transformer. Some of the components would have to lay flat, which takes up multiple times more space. You can't just move those components off the board, because for these types of amps, the layout is everything. All this goes back to my earlier post.

14. I was just after a 1u power amp because that would allow me to still use the rack case I already have. If I go 2u I'll also be shelling out money for a bigger rack case. So I was just trying to do the convenient thing, but the offerings in America just aren't there. For some reason overseas you can have your pick of the lot when it comes to high power 1u power amps.

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Understood then.

How 'bout this? A TB'er mentioned in another thread today....could you guys do a micro bass amp based on 1/2 an IPR. It'd be the only high power, 2 ohm stable micro head out there, you'd mop up the market with it.

Come on, you're Peavey, you can do anything.:D

You guys have always been pushing the industy forward.

16. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Those were pretty good stock, and those mods make a big difference. I've compared a stock unit (mine) to one with the same transformer mod and a similar op-amp change, and there was a noticeable improvement.

17. So, you'd recommend getting a unit with all that done vs a stock one?