High power amp at low volumes, is this o.k.?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Droog, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Lately I have really been leaning toward a 400+, however I don't think I will ever need all 500 watts. So I imagine I will only ever use a portion of the power available to me. What do you all think of this?

Would it be better to buy a smaller amp and be able to crank it? As apposed to a big amp hardly turned up. It seems to me, especially with tube amps that the higher they are turned up, the better tone. Am I right?
    Thanks guys and gals.
  2. Well for starters, the 400+ is a really a 400-. It's a 300W amp. :D
    It's perfectly fine to only use a portion of the power you have available, in fact it's usually desireable. For tube amps, it depends on what tone you're going for of course. If you want overdriven tone then less power might be in order. The beauty of the 400+ is that it has a master volume, so you can get real tubey tone at reasonable volumes. It sounds real nice at a bunch of different levels. If you want power tube overdrive and it's too loud as is you can always pop a couple of pairs of tubes out. ;)
    The 400+ is just a good sounding amp, and you'll have lots of volume available from it, should you ever need it...