Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

high powered dilema...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fatrhino, Dec 21, 2002.

1. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    First off here is my gear:
    Trace Elliot V-type 600H (600watt solidstate)
    (2) Eden 115xlt cabs
    Ibanez ATK300 (active)
    some crazy aluminum neck 1970's Kramer (passive)

So I am practicing with my band and notice a bit of distortion/static/farting when I attack some of the lower end notes really hard. But I was only using one cab at practice so I go home and test things using both my cabs. When I get to my normal giging volume (volume at 3 o'clock gain at 12 o'clock) the distortion/static/farting happens again when attacking some of the lower end notes. This happens with both my active and passive basses.

The head says it puts out 600watts with 1200 watts max into 4ohms. The cabs handels 400watts each and I daisy chain them to make 4ohms. What going wrong here? Am I expecting to much from 15's? Am I over powering my cabs? Am I over working my head (the fans only kicked in for about a minute during this test)? Should I sell one of the 15's and buy a 2x10?Please help. thanks...

2. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    turn down gain, turn up volume

3. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    can't really turn the volume up that much higher but I'll try that...

4. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    anyone? I'm sure this is a common (or easily answered) problem...

5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    What's your EQ setting like? If you're pushing the bass up too high it can cause some clipping (farting) at high volumes.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Fifteens farting? My, my ... what a huge surprise.

7. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    I set everything flat with a slight mid boost. The Trace is pretty bare bones... only volume, bass, mid, trebel, and gain knobs. Should I look into some sort of compression?

8. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    So Munjibunga, would you recommend adding 2x10 or 4x10 to my setup?

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes indeedy-doodoo. But you knew that.

10. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I like your setup, 2 1x15's cabs is my preferred setup.

The first thing you want to rule out is damaged drivers. Unfortunately, this will require finding two known good D115XLT's to A/B with your own. If your 600H is putting 1200w into those cabs, you may have blown the drivers. Eden D115XLT's are rated at 400w each, so you're 50% overpower at full output of your amp.

Check your gain staging and EQ settings. To get the maximum amount of clean headroom, you should be running your master volume at maximum and controlling your overall volume with the gain knob.

As the owner of both a Trace Elliot V-Type 220w head and a Trace Elliot V-Type preamp (which I'm using with my new SWR Power 750 power amp), I can tell you that if your preamp gain is too high, you're going to start overly distorting the preamp stage, which can definitely produce a sound you may not want to hear.

As far as your EQ goes, if you're boosting the bass too much, you may be exceeding the usable frequency range of your cabinets.

If none of this seems to help, get your amp checked out by a reliable tech. It is possible that your amp is damaged. Most SS power amps have pretty high damping factors, which tends to prevent "farting".

Don't switch to 10's, despite Munji's love of them. If you're farting with 15's, you'll be farting even worse with 10's, unless you're using a seriously high powered cab with 10's (SWR Goliath III - 700w, or Acme cabs - rating debatable). Most 2x10 cabs don't handle anywhere near this much power or have the bass extension of a good 1x15. 4x10 cabs can get there, but not without a lot of EQ to balance their primarily midrange character.

11. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    A compressor/limiter might smooth things out a bit.

12. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    Thanks for the great input amper.