Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High Powered Lightweight Amps with Switching P/S?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 8mmOD, Sep 13, 2005.

1. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    i just updated my thread...

are there power amps available with at least 800+ watts bridged @ 4 ohms & a universal switching p/s. does anybody have experience with them? thanks

2. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
  3. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    thanks for the link. i know i could just do a google search, but I am hoping someone has experience with other brands.

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Crest Pro 200 series and the Lab Gruppen are my choices. Acoustic Image has the SA which the New version will push 800 watts.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I would give a nod to the EA iAMP 800. It has two strikes against it:
    1. It is a head, not a power amp.
    2. It does not have a switching power supply.
    But depending on the application, a great amp. 800W @ 4 ohms and only 19 pounds. Rack mountable if you want.

6. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    thanks, but just looking for a power amp.

7. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    Do you feel these ratings are exagerated or pretty realistic? I believe the 1200 watt rating of my World 1.2 to be a bit exagerated.

8. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Are you bridging it into its optimum load?

At one time I had a Peavey Kilobass...very similar to the DPC1400X...I believe it had the same power section as did the predecessor DPC1000. Anyway, it was ridiculously loud. The preamp was unacceptably (to me) noisy, though.

Kim

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

Yes, they are! Different brands rate differently and some stretch while other are conservative.

10. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    yes. i am not saying its quiet, it just seems to be a bit of an exagerated rating.

Brian Barrett-

which brands do you consider to rate conservatively?

11. Crown K series, K1 is 1500W bridged @ 4ohms. K2 is bigger still.

Its a switching (class D) amp, but i'm not sure if it has a conventional or switched power supply.

Didn't the Carver amps have switched power supply, or something like that? Maybe it was stepped instead of switching?

Randy

12. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

Both are rated fairly. The Lab Gruppen also has another great feature on it I haven't seen on other amps. Its has dip switch's on the back to adjust the sensitivity of the input of the amp. So if your running a bass directly into it or a preamp with low output or a preamp with high output you can adjust its input sensitivity which will help performance wise of the amp. The LG weighs in at the 19 Lb range and the Crest Pro 200 is in the 20-21 range.

13. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    thats pretty slick

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The K series have conventional supplies.

Carver made some of the first lightweight power amps in about the late 70s or early 80s, but they didn't really have a switch-mode power supply. Instead they used an interesting circuit that chopped the incoming AC, so that the resulting di/dT, much higher than that of the line frequency, allowed the use of a much smaller transformer that was fine under most circumstances. It had a PWM controller on the chopper, so that the duty cycle increased when the amp needed more power through the transformer. This was also its main weak point, because as the duty cycle neared 100% for very heavy power demand, the waveform approached that of the regular line-frequency AC voltage, for which the small transformer was very inadequate. The tranny would saturate, and the rail voltages would collapse. It was an interesting concept from a "cutting edge" POV, but that collapsing phenomenon has influenced people's perception and expectation of lightweight power amps to some degree ever since--some amps deservedly, though most not.

15. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    Anything in the QSC line Bob? Again, I could search, but since you are already here ;)

16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Yeah, but I thought I'd let others mention the PLX line. ;)

17. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    well since no one has yet i will ask you... i see from the qsc website that the first two are class a/b and the rest class H, which one is your fave and why? also, do they really all weigh the same?

18. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Soundtech PS802

19. I have a PS802, and according to the manual, it can only bridge to 8 Ohms. (Bummer)

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    The heaviest one is severl ounces more than the lightest one.

Class H is a more electrically efficient version of class AB, that's all that is. I don't have a fave.