Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High Quality Bass cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PinkFloydDan, Jul 8, 2005.

1. I play rock and like it fat and clean. I also play jazz, fat and clean. Clean tone. rock solid. Lightweight.

What are the best bass cabinets that fit those descriptions? I need to review what is out there but do not know where to start...lightweight will be key...

thanks for any help

2. ~Pugz~

~Pugz~

Jul 8, 2005
  3. I don't want a cab where their intro is a player using the slap pop technique that is overused as it is and boring. CLEAN TONE

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    epifani

bar none

5. Try Gallien Kruegers Neo series of cabinets, they look to be pretty light, and are ment to sound pretty good. The GK heads and Cabients are said to be clean as a whistle but adjustable to any tone you like- I use Gallien Krueger heads- I haven't had the chance to use any of their cabinets as yet...

SWR cabinets sound nice and clean, very fat- I have had the chance to use a Working Pro 410 and Goliath III with a few GK heads and they all sound nice, and fat yet remaining clean- the Goliath sounded the better to my ears. I doubt either will be light though.

Eden, very similar to the SWR cabinets, very fat- the 212XLT I played was very deep and had great tone from all over the bass. Againt they will be heavy.

There was a review of the GK 1001RB II head and Neo 212 Cabient about a week ago- it should only be a few pages back in the amps forum.

Check it out.
    -A

6. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
  7. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Epifani, Aguilar, Schroeder, and possibly Eden.

I'm taking a guess, and assuming that you want some small cabs.... such as 210's or 112's. A pair of Aggie 112's are monstrous sounding, as well as Epifani's 12's.

For 1 cab that will rule on its own, check out the Schroeder 1210. Search it up and seek out reviews.

www.schroedercabinets.com

I think you'll be more satisfied with the artist listing than you were with the intro to the EBS site:p

8. Hey man, I thought you were Mr. Acme. What happened?

www.acmebass.com... these cabinets are definitely worth a look if "fat and clean" is what you're after.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Preach on brutha! I am an Epifani fan as well. I may buy and sell several more cabs in my lifetime, but I will never be without at least one Epifani cabinet.

-Mike

10. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Schroeder, acme, eden, swr, epifani, berg, are all high quality cabs.

11. Fat and clean with no overbearing mids...
    These would have to be SWR and EBS cabs. I have an SWR Goliath III (4x10) and Son of Bertha (1x15). The Son of Bertha has nice bass, a little warmer than the Goliath III and the Goliath III is exceptionally punchy. And this is with my SWR 750x head. I can't wait to see how they will shine with a Mesa/Boogie. I've noticed that they are very responsive to the amp you have them plugged into. They are very clear and unmuddy cabs, ported and tuned well. The Son of Bertha weighs in at 73 pounds and the Goliath III at I believe 20 pounds more.

NOW, the best cabs I have ever played would have to be EBS. The sound from these things is unbelieveable: nice, fat, round, warm, punchy tone all across the spectrum. No overbearing mids, these cabs aren't as mid-heavy as Ampeg and have more transparency. My best experience with EBS was when I was playing through an Aguilar head. The EBS responded extremely well and always gives you bass in any note...even the harmonics.

If you want bass bass bass, punchy and low, go with Mesa/Boogie Cabs. I don't remember what I had EQed as, but once time I got my ears to ring from punchiness. The sheer pressure against my chest and ears from an all Mesa setup rivals shooting a 9mm without ear protection...which I do a lot.

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Check out Schroeder...

13. dont

dont

Jul 25, 2004
    dontwyman@lycos.com
    I have compared Genz-Benz NeoX212's to everything mentioned in this thread and more; try the G-B's before you buy anything else. They have a 112 also, which I haven't tried.
    I like a clean, very fat, full, deep sound, and the GB's blow my socks off. The more I play them, the more I like them. I have 1450 watts available to each of my GB's because I like tons of headroom, not because they are inefficient; they are
    capable of tremendous volume, even with a five-string, with no breakup. And they are very portable. :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist:

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I would add Accugroove cabs and Euphonic Audio NL-210 or NM-410 to the stuff already mentioned.

Just realize that with really good cabs a lot of your tone is coming from your fingers, your bass, and your preamp or head.

If that part of the recipe is not right, the final sound may be disappointing.